Stormchild

Medb Reddawn stands at the door of her home, looking out over the village.  The winds howl between the buildings, buffeting her, and she braces herself against the doorframe, gritting her teeth as her unborn child kicks and resettles and her body complains of its burden.  It will soon be time.

A hand settles on her shoulder.  "Come inside, eilie, my love."

She turns, reluctantly, and allows herself to be drawn back in.

Tailwind gently pushes closed the door behind her.  "You should be resting," he reminds her, his tone as gentle as ever as he wraps one arm about her back, relieving her of at least some small weight.

One hand cradling her belly, Reddawn begrudgingly accepts his support.  She doesn't need to speak, for they've shared the same conversation many a time before.

The house is made of stone, and a part of it extends into the cliff itself.  Tailwind would have guided her there, to bed, to rest, if she hadn't turned instead to the dining area.  Two candles stand on the heavy wooden table, offering a feeble light to the room.  At the head of the table, shrouded in shadows, head tilted down as though she has, perhaps, drifted off, but which Reddawn knows is never the case, sits the former chieftain and Reddawn's grandmother, Kellmiri the Wise.

"You'll lose the child, going about like that."

Reddawn can feel Tailwind jump, and smiles to herself.  "The child is as strong as ever—I felt them kick a moment ago.  They're impatient to be free of me."

"Hmm."  Kellmiri raises her head, offering Reddawn that slow gaze that seems innocuous at first, but always, after a silent moment, seems to comprehend your very being.  It's a thing that has caught many off guard, caused them to bare their souls to Kellmiri with nothing further than that look, but to Reddawn...  She's at home in that gaze, and welcomes it now.

"What advice do you have for me, Grandmother?  What do you see?"

"Suda wails for your child," Kellmiri says in her graveled tone, and the wind howls as though in response.  "They are touched by gods, and great sorrow—but also the strength to bear it.  They'll succeed you well."

Reddawn nods, and at last goes to rest.