Chapter 3

THREE WEEKS LATER, XOLANI WENT back to work.

"This is a waste of money!" Anika complained as she and Xolani strolled into the multi-storied building that housed their employer, Rayburn Motors. "You should've let me brew our coffee at home."

While sipping on her delicious Caffe Mocha, Xolani said, "Drinking this coffee is our way of being patriots."

"Patriots?" Anika's eyebrows shot up and her eyes danced with laughter. "Really?"

Though they'd both been at Rayburn for a while, Xolani and Anika only met three years ago when they worked on the same car. Anika's team engineered the car while Xolani's team was behind its marketing. The two ladies had clicked within moments of meeting each other. Eventually, Anika had introduced Xolani to her longtime friend, Justine. Long story short, the three became inseparable.

"How?" Anika asked, "How are we patriots, Xo?"

"We make six figures and have no responsibilities other than ourselves." Tongue in cheek and while fighting a grin, Xolani added, "It is our patriotic duty to support the hardworking men and women of Starbucks. We're creating jobs and saving the economy."

"Seriously?" Anika laughed. "You're ridiculous."

"Thank you." Grinning, Xolani curtsied. "I try my best."

Xolani had done the whole 'Yay, I'm back' dance the previous week. Her division had even thrown her a welcome party. So today, she didn't have to deal with people stopping her for long chats about her stay in France. She only got a few waves, smiles, and nods as her coworkers rushed off to catch the elevator.

She was just about to swipe her employee card so she could get to the elevator area when a voice called her name. "Xolani?"

She, and Anika who was behind her, swiveled around to see who it was.

"Barry?" she gasped when she saw him. Was that really Barry? The guy she'd met on the airplane?

He looked quite different from what she remembered. On their flight, he'd worn bomber jacket, t-shirt, and sweatpants. The blue suit he was wearing today must've been tailored just for him. It caressed his broad shoulders lovingly, and showed off his tall, athletic figure. To complement the suit, he'd added on a white shirt, blue tie, and brown shoes. He looked like he'd walked off the cover of Esquire.

Shocked, she asked, "What are you doing here?"

He seemed just as stunned to see her. "I was about to ask you the same question."

"I work here," she said just as an older man behind them loudly cleared his throat as if to tell them to get out of his way.

Quickly, Xolani swiped her card then moved toward the last elevator where there were fewer people. Anika swiped her card too as did Barry. The both came to stand on either side of Xolani.

"I work here too," Barry said.

"No way!" Xolani's eyes widened like saucers. "No freaking way."

"Yes freaking way." He pointed to himself. "EV Division."

"No way." Xolani still couldn't believe it. There was no way that the stranger she'd met on a plane and connected to so spectacularly also worked in the same company as her. It was too much of a coincidence. "You've got to be lying."

"Not lying." He reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and took out a silver business card holder. He plucked a card from it and held it out. "See."

All this while, Anika was watching them with what could only be described as silent yet intense curiosity. When Xolani took the card, Anika leaned in closer to check it out too. Sure enough, the company's logo was boldly emblazoned on the back of the card and the top of the front. Below the top logo was his name, Barry Hale, and his position (Exterior Designer, Electric Vehicles Division).