ch 1 - overcast

A/N: hi y'all this is a little world i've had in my head since i was young and it's gotten so complex i just want to put it all into words. literally imagined this shit as an anime. i have a whole show in my head bruh!
so here we go (apologies if it is confusing at all, this chapter will mostly be about explaining the world and its situation)

Looking up at the cloudy, grey sky above, Elise kicked a rock and let out a puff of cold air. The rock skittered into the sewers next to her.

'Overcast. Typical.' she thought as the rock made a light plopping sound, hitting the bottom of the sewage.

Her blonde hair blew a bit in the sanguine wind, a single white streak of hair framing part of her face. The faint metallic scent of blood filled the streets of the somber cityscape which although was not unusual, the scent of death gave one a disturbed feeling no matter how many times you smell it.

After all, humans do not easily adapt to vampiric society.
—-————

In the city, one should expect to see some sort of bloodshed every day, or even, multiple times a day as vampires are not known to "peacefully" work things out with one another. And if it's a fight with a human? The human is more often than not dead as soon as the vampire lays their crimson eyes on them. Even though there are not many humans who are able to actually fight back against vampires, it can happen. A human's will to live can be a scary thing.

Reflecting the somber essence of the city, the sky is almost never blue but is instead always enveloped in a light fog with grey, overcast skies that block out most of the sunlight. These conditions are favorited by vampires, but for humans, Elise has learned that it isn't the most pleasant of living conditions. Due to the lack of sunlight, it's common for humans to experience vitamin D deficiency which has made them pale and weak in comparison to their former selves.

The constant rain did not seem to help matters much either.

These weren't always the human race's living conditions, though, as it was one big catastrophe that put the human race in this position in the first place. Years prior to the downfall of humanity, they did in fact govern most of the world before, and things did work out for a while, with the vampires being limited to the city and the humans residing in the outskirts, which were once lush forests, ripe with flora and other wildlife.

Humans conveniently lived in this part of the world for hundreds of years, using the fertile land's many resources to survive. They were happy with this arrangement. The vampires on the other hand, were not too keen on the food presented to them by their ecosystem, which included many different types of rodents and a few larger mammals. A satisfying meal is considered very important to vampires, almost sacred, as it not only has clear health benefits, but it increases their abilities and strength by a considerable amount. Feeding on just rodents and other unfulfilling animals left them hungry for more, practically starving for a taste of a real meal.
For a time, vampires would scour every corner of the world in search of a real food source, leading to many discoveries and advancements to their race. This caused conflict between the two races as the vampires were breaking the deal of not crossing into human territory.

Upon tasting human blood for the first time, all hell broke loose as the vampire race had finally found their one and only delicacy. Over time, the vampire population boomed and far surpassed the human population due to their very frequent breeding habits and newfound food sources. The human race began to become hunted.
Things got far out of control when the human government was overthrown and millions upon millions of humans were slaughtered and millions more imprisoned in camps to either be raised as livestock for slaughter or bred like animals to increase population numbers. It was a grim fate for most.