ch 3 - blood money

Elise's mouth could not help but drop to the floor as she looked at the gory sight just outside of her window. A few splatters of blood covered the already dirty glass.

Clearly, some vampires had gotten into some type of disagreement last night as there was just heaps of viscera and blood outside of her house. She couldn't help but wonder what types of things vampires even fight about to this extent.

Her face contorted into one of disgust as she quickly closer the curtains. She tried to push the sight out of mind, knowing that she had more important things to worry about.

Today marks the beginning of her new job at the corner store down the street.

You may be wondering what a job is worth in a society like this, and it's really not much but sadly still necessary for most.

Back in the forests, humanity had an entirely different system of currency and whatnot. They were able to live off of the many resources the land provided with a few traveling merchants here and there. Humans thrived within lush, colorful forests full of life. They had no need for such a poison like currency to contaminate their free way of living. On the other hand, in the city, it is much more modernized with currency being quite literally everything in life.

Everything costs enough money here to make you barely able to stay afloat resulting in the current sorry state of the city. For vampires, chaos is everything. So cruelly, it is on purpose that the city is like this as it makes things harder for both vampires and humans alike. Humans have to go out in the world, and vampires have to attempt to push aside their savagery for the one "stable" pillar of society. Unsurprisingly, some refuse to accept this rule so there are a number of illegal underground groups who do disturbing things for money.

Ever since the bad fight with Elise's dad, he had decided it would be a great idea to stop giving her a weekly allowance. As a result, she was low on necessary things like pads and toothpaste. He had told her in a drunk fury that there would be consequences if she disobeyed him. She thought that it was the beating that he had given her.

There wasn't much choice in the matter but even so, she thought it should be fun to experience the thrill of being a cashier.

                             —————-

While at work, the girl saw a number of people that she recognized from school. They all looked surprised to see the human working there as it was a popular corner store that a lot of people, including vampires and humans alike, go to for their necessities.

The job was easy and mainly included the occasional stocking and cashing people out. It was only on the weekends at night so it's not like it would take over her life completely.

Plus, there was a small handgun under the counter for safety precautions. That should hopefully prove to be a little helpful in any sort of "situation." Vampires weren't immune to a body full of bullets.

She heard the bell ring and the door to the store swing open rather harshly, causing her to flinch slightly.

Elise turned her head and was met with Yato's familiar hooded figure as he suspiciously sprinted into the store. He looked behind his shoulder before his dark eyes met hers, causing him to stiffen.

The blonde haired girl raised a brow at his odd behavior although it wasn't completely unusual for the male as he always seemed to be up to something.

"You work here?" he asked in a dumbfounded tone before walking over to the counter and roughly placing his hands on to it, angrily gazing down at her.

He knitted his dark brows, feeling a sense of anger upon seeing the girl working at the store. He struggled to understand why she seemed so careless of her own life.