TWELVE

this is a double update! make sure to read 11 first or this won't make sense!

That night Florence barely slept. All she could think about was the offer that Elijah had made her and the plan that they had concocted. She lay awake worrying whether it might be a mistake, but Elijah assured her multiple times that he was committed to the plan. She couldn't quite fathom why he would make such an offer, but as he continued to remind her, marriage didn't have to be the lifelong commitment that it once was.

She had slept in Elijah's bed while he slept on the chaise lounge opposite the bed. Of course she only had the clothes that she arrived in, so Elijah gave her one of his shirts to wear, which fell halfway down her thigh.

That morning the sun seeping through the window had stirred her from her slumber, she woke up to see Elijah still fast asleep, and she wondered whether the same doubts had plagued his mind while he slept. But the peaceful look on his face suggested otherwise.

When he finally stirred from his sleep they both acknowledged that it was time to put the plan in motion. Before they went to sleep the night before Elijah had called ahead for a driver to collect Imelda from Small Heath in the morning.

"Are you alright?" Elijah asked as Florence stood at his bedroom window, staring out at the driveway as she waited for the car carrying her mother to appear.

"I didn't sleep very well," She answered, keeping her eyes on the vast land owned by the Harringtons, trying not to become overwhelmed by the idea that her child would one day inherit it, without any biological link to the family.

"You'll feel better once we've told everyone," Elijah assured her, "Your mother will be here soon, I'm sure."

"What if they tell me to get rid of it?" Florence asked in a moment of fear, adamant that she wouldn't do that to her body.

"Flo," Elijah soothed as she turned to face him, "I won't let them even suggest it, alright?"

"I'm scared, Eli," Florence whispered, feeling uncomfortable enough wearing her clothes from the day before, "Of all of this, telling them, getting married, having a baby, raising a child-"

"Hey," Elijah smiled, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her into his chest, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"I still can't believe you suggested this," Florence answered, glancing up at him.

"Honestly, neither can I," He replied, "But we both get something out of this, it's mutually beneficial."

"Maybe we should go downstairs and face your parents," Florence suggested, "They'll have one of their servants looking for you if you're not careful."

"Your timing is impeccable, look," Elijah pointed out the window as Florence pulled away from him to see the car that was sent to collect her mother making its way up the driveway.

"This is really happening, isn't it?" Florence mumbled as she kept her eyes on the car on its approach to the house.

"It is," Elijah nodded, "We better get to your mother before my mother does."

"You're right," Florence sighed, knowing how persistent Margaret could be, "We also need this to be convincing."

"Come on then, Fiancée," Elijah smirked, taking Florence's hand in his and leading her out of the bedroom.