31 - You're not going to take them away from me

No words leave my mouth

No words leave my mouth. I feel like every ounce of air in me has been knocked out.

I furrow my eyebrows and look at her in utter disbelief. This isn't possible, it isn't possible.

I tilt my head and take a cautionary step forward. "Mom?"

Her mouth breaks into a wide smile, her eyes look to have relief in them as she straightens up. "Hey, Allie Bear," she says softly. "Can I," she glances over to Asher, who's still standing by the door, "Can I come in?"

Asher looks over to me, as if asking what to do. Without an answer, mom starts to take a step but I immediately raise my hand out to signal for her to stop. "No... no you can't," I utter out the words.

She looks at me with confusion and a bit of hurt. "I don't understand, I-"

"What are you doing here," I cut her off, trying my best to stay strong. To not show any sign of weakness.

"Well, I... I came up to see you and... your father said you'd moved out and that you'd been living with your boyfriend. So, I did some digging, found out he lived here, and came to find you," she said anxiously.

"Alright, well you've seen me, you can go now," I say shortly.

She looks at me with sorrow filled eyes. "C'mon baby, can't we just talk about this. Just come back to Texas with me, you can enroll in school there, I think you'll like it down there."

I look at her dumbfounded. "So let me get this straight, you leave me when I'm just nine years old with an abusive man and don't talk to me for eight years, and now I'm supposed to just go back to Texas with you? I don't even know you."

She tilts her head. "Abusive? No, no your father was always just very grumpy but never.."

I suddenly pull my shirt up and her eyes scan down to all the scars on my torso. A gasp leaves her lips and her hand flies up to cover her mouth.

"Not abusive my ass, now leave," I growl.

"Allie I-" she shakes her head. "We'll discuss that later but.. I'm not just going to leave you here with these... strangers."

My eyes glance over to Asher. He's standing there by the door, mouth slightly open, his eyes trained on the floor. He looks up at me, his eyes glossed over. He shrugs slightly, shaking his head. I think my heart just broke a little more than it already has.

"Mom..." I say lowly, threateningly. "These people are not just strangers. In fact, they've been more like a family to me than you and Dad have ever been. I love him," I point to Asher, tears swelling up in my eyes. "I love him. And I love these people. And you're not going to take them away from me just because you all of a sudden decided to be a mom after eight fucking years. Now.... leave."

She's still standing in the doorway, mouth agape. She suddenly crosses her arms and looks at me scoldingly. "You're still a kid, you don't have a say in this matter."