CH: 8

Shubman was dying inside. He was just one glance at Ishan away from bursting into flames. And it certainly didn't help that the subject of his torment was sitting there, staring at him like Shubman was a walking horror movie.

“It’s not my fault,” Shubman thought to himself. He was only trying to get a rise out of Ishan.

“It kind of is,” his brain supplied.

Okay, Shubman might have deliberately stood half-naked in the room even if he was done showering before Abhishek’s text.

“It’s not entirely my fault,” he reasoned with his brain. It was Ishan who pulled him into the kiss like his life depended on it.

Why would the boy who refused to acknowledge his existence for three years kiss him suddenly? Was being around Shubman for a week the third strike for him? Did he finally drive Ishan crazy? Well, he could take a little pride in that.

Shubman risked a glance across the table at Ishan and breathed a sigh of relief. The boy seemed engrossed in conversation with Rishabh, the dim lights of the club periodically illuminating his face. Shubman watched as his lips curved around the rim of the glass, his adam’s apple bobbing slightly as he swallowed the liquid.

That brought back the very vivid memory of those lips against his own not even an hour ago. As much as it hurt Shubman's ego to admit it, the kiss wasn’t bad. At all. It was good. Very good. Mind-blowing… You get the memo. It sent tingles down his spine to imagine his (ex) best friend kissing him breathless, wet and sloppy. It felt like a sin– the sexy kind. Shubman Gill got off on thrill. So, did it really matter if the person was Ishan? What’s in a name, right?

Of course, it mattered. Shubman chided himself, gulping down a shot of his vodka. It was Ishan for fuck’s sake. Ishan, who hated him. Ishan, whom he hated right back. He was also bitter about the fact that they could kiss but not be friends again. Not that he was particularly dying to be Ishan’s friend.

He found his gaze drawn back to the boy, who was now giggling at something Tilak had said. Abhishek joined them, slinging an arm around Ishan's shoulder and tousling his hair. He knew that his best friend was simply trying to make up for lost time with Ishan, but he was Shubman’s best friend too!

He pouted, not wanting to come off as petty. Knowing Abhishek, he'd likely shoot Shubman a disgusted look for wanting his attention and tell him to piss off. With a huff, Shubman got up and tugged at Abhishek's arm.

“What’s up?” The latter asked.

Shubman felt Ishan's eyes tracking him as he pulled Abhishek away from the group. Ignoring it, he dragged his friend to the side.

“Oof, what do you want? I have no money left.”

Tu jyada chipak raha hai usse,” Shubman said with a scowl.

Abhishek sighed. “Shub, we talked about this. Don’t involve me in your ego fights.”

Shubman fiddled with his thumbs absent-mindedly. “He’s going to take you away from me,” he mumbled.

Shubman glanced up to find Abhishek giving him a deadpan look. “Wouldn’t catch me dead saying that corny shit.”

Shubman pouted. “Meri baatein corny lagne lagi hai? Thik hai, jaa tu uske paas. Sorry I disturbed you.”

Abhishek bit his lip to refrain from smiling as he could practically see Shubman’s dog-ears drooping down. He rolled his eyes, patting the puppy’s head. “Saale kitni nautanki karta hai. Idhar aa.”