2-Nalyv 𓇼

My back aches from hours spent riding my horse.
We left the Court of Termites last night, stopping for a while in the woods.
We took as many people as we could with us, trying not to leave anyone behind.

I don't laugh and joke as I always do, not when I think of our soldiers, who are receiving attacks all the time.

They are moving to the other courts, and the problem may be worse than it seems.

My mom flanks me, her white horse snorts.

<<We are almost there.>> She says, as she locks her gaze with mine.

I know she is worried.
She and dad have had a thousand conferences, with the other courts and wiser hags. No one seems to know for sure the reason for the attack, but hypotheses are surfacing.
My stomach tightens.

We arrive at the high court that afternoon.
The High king and the High queen greet us at the palace gates.
They are impassive, both regal and elegant.

They have us set up tents in the woods next to the palace, the same woods where they had made the Termite Court stay more than 20 years earlier during the Battle of the Serpent.

A few hours later, we are in the Ceremonial Hall.

<<Kaye, Roiben.>> The Queen hints at my parents <<We are glad to be helpful, and please you to make yourself comfortable in our home. We will put aside our differences, for the sake of Elfhame>> Jude, the queen, speaks in a confident voice.

I admire her very much. By her own strength, she has made her way through the prejudices of the Folk when she was criticized for being a mortal. Now, she is the Queen of Elfhame.

My gaze wanders over the members of the royal family. It stops on Vael Greenbriar.
He is sitting next to the King.

He has high cheekbones, a pointed nose, and elongated, light brown eyes, like Jude's. He also has a tail.

He is identical to his father, though he looks less cheerful, more rigid as he sits on the throne, his gaze as calculating as his mother's.

He wears a simple white shirt, black pants, gold rings, and has black makeup on his eyes.
On his head, he has a golden headband, placed perfectly.

He is beautiful.

He looks at me, his gaze full of contempt , then looks away.

* * *

In the evening, we return to the camp, and organize the tents.

I am sitting on my makeshift bed while my father braids my hair into two thick braids.

<<It is as if I feel that it is my fault, for this war>> I say in a feeble voice.

<<Nalyv, your mother and I are responsible.
You're young, it's not time to get married yet, and not if you don't think he's the right person>> he says, as he closes the end of my braids with two golden ribbons.
<<Also, we don't know if that's the main reason. It might just be the tip of the iceberg.>> He adds.

He sits down in front of me. Her silver eyes meet mine.

<<Don't blame yourself, Nana>> she tells me softly.

Despite being from the Folk, he thinks marriages should be made for love, and not convenience. It may seem like a small thing, but it is unusual among faerie.

I smile at him, but I can't banish the thought.

The next morning, we are summoned to the High Court for a meeting.