Chapter 4

Following the introduction of Albert, Elphonse and Elbrim discussed a few more things in the King's study. Despite looking calm on the surface, Elbrim was clearly worried about the dereliction of duty by the knights. What he wanted to know is how it happened and how hard he needed to crack down. There was a reason he was called The Iron King. Although Elphonse didn't have anything concrete, he did have a few leads, and that's what he was discussing with the King currently.

"So from everything my spies are finding, it seems like the order came from The Church."

Elbrim furrowed his brow. The Church of Heloise was the largest independent organization, and their priests and priestess' often enjoyed unrivaled freedom in every kingdom the church operated in. This often led to some very dark stories. But every ruler knew that they needed the church's help to stay in power. And the Church knew that. But they rarely touched the nobles and their families, so why do this?

"This doesn't make sense. Even if your sister had been disowned by your father, she was still related to nobility. Why would they make a move on her?"

"It might have to do with something Lavinia told us."

Elbrim looked at Elphonse in confusion.

"And what would that be?"

"The rumours that one of the Creationists has passed away."

That jogged Elbrim's memory. The Creationists were an order of the strongest mages. A vacancy on the order means that a new Creationist has shown up and the order was clearing a path for them.

"If that is true, then the Church's sure to be aware. But why take out your sister? Surely you can't be insinuating that they want control of her son?"

Elphonse nodded. He pulled out a letter that his sister had sent him the week before she was killed. Sliding it over to Elbrim, he motioned for the king to read it. Curious as to the contents, Elbrim picked it up. As he read the letter, his curiosity turned to shock. This would explain the church's actions, but was it all true?

"This can't be true? Your sister must be lying!"

Elphonse shook his head.

"Sadly she isn't. Though we don't know his aptitude yet, we do know that Albert is an Earth mage. Same as the Creationist that passed away. And Sylvie can confirm that there were people watching my sister's house whenever she showed up for escort duty."

Elbrim sat back in his chair, defeated. If news got out that the church not only killed a child's parents to control him, but also bribed the Royal Knights, there would be riots.

"No one can know about the contents of that letter. Especially Albert."

Elphonse nodded. He knew that if Albert found out, he would act recklessly.

"With that, I should probably release you. Albert must be exhausted, and Sylvie most likely is worried."

The two men stood up in silence, not knowing what to say. As they walked towards the door, two knocks rang out. Worried, Elbrim motioned for Elphonse to stop.

"Who is it?"

"It's Defril Sire. I have a note for Lord Erigal from the Crimson Tusks."

"Bring it in, quickly."

The door opened and the note was handed to Elphonse. After Defril left, and a quick skim later, Elphonse began to see the bigger picture.

"What does it say," Elbrim inquired.

"It seems like the priestess that was hovering around my sister's house was seen at Friezaire Academy. Apparently to see the headmaster."

"Do you think it is about Albert?"

"I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was."

The room fell silent again. They both knew the implications if their assumptions were true.

"You should head then. Get Albert and the girls ready for school. I'll get Eloise up to speed with the situation so she's at least aware of the danger."

They knew that letting Eloise go into a potentially dangerous situation without knowing what could happen was a bad story. And thankfully Elbrim, despite how he acted, was a very doting father. Heading towards the entrance, they knew that regardless of whatever happened during the new term, Albert was going to have quite a few eyes on him.