Chapter 7

Munira made it back to her cabin without seeing Lirelle and planned to remain there until morning. That plan went well until there was a knock at the door. Lirelle stood in the doorway, holding a bottle and two glasses woven between her fingers. "I'm tired of drinking with the boys. What do you say?"

"I don't know. I was about to get ready for bed."

"Nonsense." Lirelle waved her off and slipped inside. "Remember in training when they would make us survive a week on four hours sleep total?"

"I remember. That's why I appreciate sleep now."

"This wine is from the vineyards of the northern provinces, the best in Keshenne. Strong as fuck, too. More than enough to get us shitfaced."

"I'm flattered you'd share it with the likes of me."

Lirelle narrowed her eyes. "Well, beggars can't be choosers. I usually drink with the men, but the night always ends with one of them following me to my cabin. Some nights, I let them follow, others I must disappoint. The ritual can get tiresome." She poured wine into a glass and held it to her lips. "I don't have to worry about that with you, do I?" A mischievous smirk creeping across her face.

Munira placed a hand on her heart. "It'll be hard, but somehow I'll manage to keep my hands to myself." She joined Lirelle at the table, which was nothing more than a crate.

"I remember you weren't much of a drinker when we were younger." She filled a cup halfway and slid it to her. "In case you can't keep up."

"I don't need any handicaps, thanks." She tapped the lip of the cup and Lirelle brought it the rest of the way.

"Alright, that's what I like to hear. So, have you recovered from your trauma earlier?"

Munira sipped her wine. The taste was pleasant, but alcohol was never her passion. She wouldn't know how to describe it if life depended on it. "My trauma? If you mean my desire to live up to my oath, that remains an open question."

"You know, before I started working with Kivian, I almost gave up on the mission. I was close to returning to Keshenne."

"Really? You were going to walk away from everything you worked for?"

Lirelle poured herself another drink. "Sure. I was discouraged by how hard it was to make a real difference. Everywhere I went, people starved and suffered. Women raped, children exploited, men murdered by warlords and gangs. Fledgling governments too weak and corrupt to do anything. I would arrive in a town, help a few people, and move on. I'm not afraid to admit the enormity of our task overwhelmed me."

"It can be but-"

"I questioned the wisdom of The Lord Minister's vision for the Rangers. We are elite soldiers, the product of considerable imperial time and resources, and what does he have us doing? He sends us on a thankless mission to serve the very enemy who sought to destroy us only a generation ago."

"We're supposed to show people a Ranger is both benevolent and deadly."

"Oh yes, I know. I read the same propaganda you did. Speak kind words, perform good deeds, but do so with a really sharp sword. What's the point of saving a handful of people here and there? Meanwhile, gangsters become warlords, politicians and bureaucrats become tyrants. How long before one of them consolidates power and points it at Keshenne." Lirelle stood, words animating her.

"The things we do matter to those we help. We're not supposed to be an invading army. Anyone who would wish ill upon Keshenne must consider fighting an entire nation of warriors like us."