Chapter 8

Aika spent the night and most of the next day resting and recovering in the Fraxinus infirmary. Ai was sent home in the morning, so Aika was sent home alone, surprisingly teleported right in front of her building. She ate a quick meal after getting inside, showered, and then went to bed. The following day was Sunday, and she spent it inside, still recovering from the bullet hole in her shoulder. Even though her healing was enhanced by being a spirit, it still took a few days to fully recover. By the time Monday came around and she had to go back to school, her shoulder still hurt, but it was more of a dull annoyance than actual pain.

"Good morning, Ai." Aika said as she walked into the class. There were a few other students in the classroom, but it was still pretty early, so most people had yet to arrive.

"Oh, Aika. How are you feeling?"

"Much better. It's still a little sore, but it's not too bad now."

The graze on her face had completely healed, and with her other injury being hidden under her shirt, it was impossible to tell just from looking at her that she had even been hurt in the first place.

Aika took her seat next to Ai as the two conversed.

"Do you think she's going to come after us?"

"...Probably. But I'll protect you, alright?"

"Y-Yeah!" Ai said, a blush creeping onto her face that Aika missed from the girls calling to the two of them from the classroom's front door.

"Ai, Aika, good morning!" Mii called out to the two girls, with Mai following behind her. The girls joined the two already at their desks, both of them noticing Ai's blush but deciding now wasn't the time to bring it up.

"How was your weekend?" Mai asked.

"Ugh, I hurt my shoulder, so I was stuck inside recovering."

"Whoa, what happened?" Mii asked.

"I... um... uh..."

"S-She injured it at the arcade! Right?"

"Y-Yeah! I got too excited and pulled a muscle! It's mostly better now."

The smirk on Mii's face confused Aika, but Ai could tell what she was thinking and knew she would have to clear it up with her later. Ai asked the two girls about their weekend in hopes of changing the direction of the conversation. It worked, and the girls spent the last of the time talking until the teacher walked in.

"Good morning, everyone. Before we start the class, I have an exciting announcement—we have a new transfer student! Come in and introduce yourself."

The door slid open as the student stepped into the room. She was wearing the girl's school uniform, her hair tied loosely into two twin tails and hanging down her shoulders. Her bangs covered her left eye, leaving only her blood-red right eye visible to the students. Aika couldn't quite put her finger on why she felt so familiar, but it was all cleared up when she introduced herself.

"Hello everyone, my name is Tokisaki Kurumi." She locked eyes with Aika for a second as fear washed over both Ai and Aika. "Just so you know, I'm actually a spirit."

Of the five who knew what spirits were, three of them didn't know who she was, so all three of them were caught off guard by her introduction.

The class sat in silence and confusion, unsure what to make of it.

"Well, that was certainly one of the more... unique introductions. Go ahead and take a seat anywhere—"

"Before I sit, could someone do me a quick favor?"