Chapter Davy Crockett and the River Pirates: Siren's Melody

September 12th, 2023

Coronado Springs, the epicenter of Southwestern culture, dropped into Feya's peripheral. What a beautiful resort! The tall, tan Convention Center was just what she needed after her first physical therapy session.

Feya rubbed sleep from her emerald green eyes and smoothed her tan sundress. She wore it during the session to make it easier to access her prosthetic leg. A dress also sounded necessary for Out and Equal: Summit 2023, the convention for which she and Maisie had waited a month for. They went straight there from the doctor's office.

Daisy popped up on Feya's lap and set her white paws on the passenger window.

Feya removed her flower headband and offered it to her Service Dog.

Daisy pushed off the window and sniffed it, hopping into the headband like it was her dog bed.

Maisie pulled into the packed parking lot and parked across from Monterrey Circle outside the Convention Center's Fiesta Ballroom, shutting off her silver Jeep. She was lucky she found shade under a palm tree on the curb. Feya wasn't sure how long the check-in process took.

"Well, here we are, Fey." Maisie tucked her curly, brown hair into a bun and gestured at the Convention Center.

"I'm nervous, Maisie." While Feya had done well with not hiding her prosthetic for the past month, she felt she needed to for Out and Equal. It honored the LGBTQ community—not someone who had their leg blown off in a bomb.

"Hey." Maisie clutched Feya's shoulder. "I'm right here. We're in this together, Fey."

"But you don't have a prosthetic leg."

"That doesn't matter. What matters is that we have fun. Our parents got us these reservations for a reason."

Feya knew that, but it was still nerve-wracking. She hoped there was at least one person in the convention who also had a prosthetic—someone she could share her pain with.

Maisie exited the car and unpacked Feya's wheelchair. She rolled it to her side and opened the door, giggling. "Milady."

"I think I want to walk, May." Feya gently pushed the wheelchair away. She stumbled, getting out of the car, leaving Maisie to slip the wheelchair under her.

"You heard the doctor. He wants you to stay off your leg for the rest of the day. You won't be an expert at walking after one day of physical therapy."

"This sucks." Feya could not handle another day in the wheelchair. It had been one year, and she still wasn't used to her new life. All she wanted was to return to Ukraine and ski again. Sure, Maisie mentioned plenty of ski resorts in the United States, but Feya wanted Bukovel. It was her, her parents, and Victoriya's favorite resort. War happened, though, and now Feya was stuck in the U.S.

"I know." Maisie leaned into Feya's ear. "You can do this, though, Feya. You just need to be patient."

True, but Feya's patience still had her in a wheelchair (although it was partly her fault). She had yet to tell Maisie what happened the day Milo escaped, and the guilt was excruciating. Gosh, the last time she was this scared was at her pool party before she showed her leg to the world. Regardless, Feya had to be brave. She needed it to return to the slopes. Out and Equal would be good for both her and Maisie. Their parents reserved spots not only for them to understand they weren't the only queer couple but also that others were trying to find their place at Disney as well.

Maisie rolled Feya into the enormous Convention Center, which seemed to stretch forever. It was divided into the Coronado Ballroom, Fiesta Ballroom, and Veracruz Exhibit Hall. Maisie and Feya were to check in at South Registration just before entering Veracruz.

Maisie tucked her t-shirt into her jeans and passed queer couples, Summit staff members, and a few Custodian Cast Members wearing ugly ass hot pink shirts and olive shorts. Feya would choose Maisie's derpy All-Star Sports Custodial costume over theirs any day.

To distract herself, she examined the blue Out and Equal: #WeAre banner between two ballrooms and a few tables that carried Summit 2023 souvenirs, such as bags and pens. They were nice, but Feya wished for a pair of Pride Mickey ears. She could also ask Maisie to buy one if she found the guts.

One of the wheelchair's wheels snagged onto a ripped section of the ornate rug, breaking Feya's train of thought. It jerked forward and knocked her and Daisy onto one of the orange flower designs.

"Ouch!" Feya yelped.

A few people snickered, but Maisie yelled, "Feya!" and waved them away.

Great. Not even ten minutes in, and Feya had already embarrassed herself. "Are you okay, Daisy?" she shakily asked, hugging her.

"Arf." Daisy's tail wagged, and she licked Feya's cheek.

"Hey, are you good?" a new voice said off to the side. A girl, who looked around Feya and Maisie's ages, hustled to them. She sported waist-length, auburn-brown hair, flip-flops, and a dress with a coral reef design on its hem (how appropriate for Florida). Her tan skin suggested she spent a lot of time outside.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Feya removed Maisie and the girl's hands from her and stood, brushing herself down. She ensured Daisy was safe before picking up her wheelchair and sitting again. "Thanks."

The girl grinned. "No problem. Welcome to Coronado Springs, y'all." Feya noticed her distinct Southern accent. "I'm Melody. What about you guys?"

"Maisie," Maisie spoke before Feya, a tinge of jealousy in her normally-kind voice. "She's Feya, and that's her dog, Daisy."

"Maisie." Feya nudged her. "I can speak for myself—thank you very much. I'm sorry about her, Melody."

Melody waved her hand. "Ah, don't worry about it. Are y'all here for the convention?"

"We are," Maisie explained, beating Feya again. "Just us. No one else."

Feya huffed. Maisie could stop coddling her now. She had a prosthetic leg, not a severe brain injury.

Melody chuckled and glanced at Maisie. "I think you should let your girlfriend speak for herself occasionally, May. Can I call you that?"

Now, Maisie huffed. Seeing her jealous was an anomaly, but that was because she cared for Feya.

"Anyway..." Melody cleared her throat. "Why don't I take y'all to South Registration before the line grows too long?"

Maisie blushed. "Don't you have a girlfriend of your own here? Isn't that why you're at Summit?"

"Oh... no." Melody drew back as if haunted by a sudden memory. "I'm by myself. But I'm happy to help you." She clapped. "Now come on! If we don't move, all the good rooms will be gone."