Chapter 10: A Bigger Family

They had set no strict tradition to their Saturdays, Emery reminded herself, glancing down to the watch on her wrist for the hundredth time. But the outings had sunk so easily into habit over the last few months that she found herself lost. Waiting for the knock at her door, the sound of Cal's 'good morning' and the bright-eyed smile of greeting from the toddler at her feet.

Twig gave a chirp of annoyance as Emery slumped onto the couch next to where the cat had been curled up. Glancing down at her hand, but her phone only pointed out the fact Calypso still hadn't messaged. Her mind acknowledging the empty notification panel and fighting over whether it wanted to turn her face disgruntled or sad.

Where were they?

Matching her sleeping schedule to that of a three-year-old was not a trial Emery volunteered herself to freely, she'd woken up early for this. And had now been waiting for hours.

A heavy sigh escaped her chest at the truth that perhaps assumption wasn't being her friend. They hadn't always been regular with their weekends. Missed days slipping past due to the distraction of other commitments - though the movie nights had remained in place every single Tuesday like clockwork, and it wasn't unusual to impulsively arrange to share dinner between the three of them on occasion. But Cal couldn't really be that much of an oblivious idiot to think she wouldn't want at least some sort of confirmation, could she? True, their plans had never been chiseled in stone, but her mind had always been softer.

Emery kicked on her slippers. Letting the front door swing closed behind her as she found her way to the stairwell.

...

They're definitely in. The sound of Isla's wailing was evidence enough, though one of Emery's eyebrows raised at the recognition of another, remarkably more jarring noise as she walked down the hallway.

Was that the fire alarm?

She paused outside Calypso's door, hands a moment away from searching for the new addition to her keychain as she braced herself for the apparent tidal fight she'd stumbled into, her other brow joining its friend.

Calypso's eyes found Emery's immediately after she'd urged the door open, discovering her on her knees outside the stubbornly closed entrance to Isla's bedroom. The tantrumed crying from inside explaining very little as she sent Emery a look she could only interpret as 'help' while amusement took over her cheeks.

It wasn't hard to locate the source of the burning - her nose leading her through to the kitchen where the poor woman had clearly attempted to make cupcakes.

The windows pried open and the alarm manipulated into submission, Emery returned to where Calypso was now sitting with her forehead against the oak of the door, calling out the little girls name, softly, pleading. But the wailing didn't stop.

"What happened?" Emery asked, alarmed bemusement thick in her voice.

"We finally got booked in for an adoption hearing." Calypso admitted, her face still leaning pitifully against the door. "I tried to explain what it meant but I don't think she understood. She said she didn't want to go back, and she's been like this ever since I told her - like a complete idiot, - that we had to."

Emery blinked, though the news wasn't unexpected "And what's with the cupcakes?"

"Well, it seemed to work last time," Cal said, turning to face her as Em waited for her to elaborate. "Didn't you say something along the lines of 'the world always seems slightly less shitty with a belly full of food?'"

"Yeah," She nodded, fond amusement lighting up her eyes. " Food , Cal. Not coal charred disasters."

Had she ever seen Calypso so broken? Her memory was lending her no help as she took her hand, before tugging her onto her feet.