1

"We need to hire more help," Gregg Watkins argued. "We're already running ourselves ragged as it is."

"We just hired six new people."

"And we just took on ten more clients." Gregg shook his head, exasperated. "Can we not hire four more people?"

Dylan sighed. They'd been having this argument for a few months now, and a necessary one. Not only were they getting an influx of new business, they retained the majority of those clients. Kade wanted to be cautious about bringing on new hires while everyone else was adamant they needed more help. He couldn't count the number of times they'd had to do emergency reshuffling to cover a dangerous situation. If they had more people, that wouldn't happen.

"What do you think, Dylan?" Viktor Kincaid, one of the two owners of Kincaid Security and Investigations, asked quietly.

"I think if we want to keep taking on new clients, then we have to deal with the problem at hand. We're severely short staffed. Our only option outside of hiring at least ten more people is to close our doors to new clients. It's as simple as supply and demand. It's an age-old concept that still rings true today."

"Ten?" Kade glowered at him, but he didn't let the other owner intimidate him. Kade might be a former FBI agent, but Dylan had been in law enforcement before he joined KSI. He wasn't easily intimidated by a fed.

"Yes, ten. How many times over the last six months have we had to reshuffle people to cover all the assignments? I may not be included in management meetings, but I've felt it when people get pulled off my current assignments and I have to do the job of three people. I don't mind playing bodyguard, but my skills are best utilized elsewhere."

Dylan was good with information gathering. He was a former police detective, so he could do the whole bodyguard thing when necessary. He and Max both preferred not to do bodyguard work. Dylan had his reasons, and Viktor knew them even if Kade didn't.

"I hate just having people sitting around doing nothing," Viktor said.

"Then put them to work," Dylan told him. "Instead of utilizing another company to do our background checks, why not just do them ourselves in house? When there's nothing for people to do, we can have them do that."

"That requires a lot of training. If they screw up and misreport a record or miss a record, then we'll lose clients."

"Our company employs former police and military. I think we can figure it out. We're all very meticulous and detail oriented. Nik and Mason can write any program we need to do this. It's a sound idea, and I'm sure you can find someone to train us on how to complete them."

Kade's lips pursed. He knew Dylan made a good point.

"Think of how much money the company will save if we move that aspect of our business in house."

"It's a sound idea," Vik broke in before Kade could argue. "We'll look at the logistics of it. I think you might be right about closing our doors to new clients for the time being, though. Kade and I need to crunch some numbers on if we can actually afford to hire more people."

Dylan didn't know what the books looked like, so he couldn't comment on it. No one in this room outside of Viktor and Kade could. The rest of them weren't owners or shareholders.

"Lunch is here!" Lauren, their receptionist, called over the intercom.

His stomach perked up at the mention of food, as did everyone else's.

"What did we get?" Mason rubbed his stomach.

The kid was Kade and Vik's youngest brother and a computer whiz who dabbled in hacking. He was good. Not as good as Max, but Max kept his computer skills to himself for the most part. Mason wasn't exactly thrilled with being roped into a job at KSI, but as the brothers told him, it's better if they could put him to work hacking legally than if he did it on his own and landed in prison.