Reason

CHAPTER ONE

The chill of late autumn morning seeped into my black track pants as the sound of feet thudded on the sidewalks leading out of the school enclosed in a sea of red pinewoods.

The sun was high up and a calm settled into me as my muscles pushed forward, wanting to keep up with my partner who was beginning to slow down. I won't complain as I remember being just like her a few weeks back.

All this was for the annual September cross-country competition. I had decided to try for it, it would help my overall physique and for school credits, Mom had said. But I just wanted to do something with my life that didn't have anything with Mom. That is what I thought until I ran 3 kilometers and nearly toppled over and dug a grave for myself. But now I can run without my heart pounding in my chest like I should let it out, without the taste of my saliva mixed with a metallic taste and a dry patch that never seems to go away in the back of my throat. That's the best feeling.

Ma would never understand that feeling though, I tell myself. Ma thinks everything you do in life is a necessity. She wants to find reason in things as small as brushing your teeth to as big as being promoted. But I still don't know what I want to do in life. Find your reason Ma would say. But I simply wanted to live my life not finding reason in anything and feeling it instead. Just like this feeling

As my group reaches our resting spot, Greenville Lake, some settle down on a nearby stone bench and others begin to stretch, I look over to my partner and I see her staring into the lake. And I just know that she's thinking about jumping into the lake to drown herself, after all, I also went through that phase when I had begun the two days per week training that took most of my one-hour lunch break.

"What da y'all say about going an extra kilometer, hmm?" The coach suggested. That would make this run 4 kilometers, more than we had ever done! My gaze goes to the lake beside me. No, I can do this!

But I know it's not a suggestion, he does mean it, just like the way my dad talks. They are so similar but my coach speaks with more sternness, my pops simply suggest it but in a persuading manner, you couldn't possibly say no to him.

The groans of some people, my partner included, fill the silence.

"I mean, yo gals would be going up against people who run all day all 'er round and if you wanna meet 'em just a lit bit then this is the way" He shrugs his muscular shoulders and looks at me. Looks at me?! What am I supposed to say!

"I believe we can do better, team. The competition is next week, and we have to go the extra mile to win. Let's push ourselves a little harder and get the job done. It's worth it!" I blurted out, hoping to motivate my fellow members. However, I noticed a few sore looks from those who were too comfortable with their current effort levels. Oh well, I'll have to work harder to convince them.

The coach had already begun turning and leaving us behind. What a great teacher! So the only thing I could possibly do now was to follow him as the others picked up their speed and two decided to take it upon themselves to lead the group. That was Abdul and Kale. I had noticed they had very good stamina. That would be useful to them in time of the competition. Kale was lagging behind today though. I wonder...

Silence ensued and the only thing was the heaves and hos of my partner. She had it rough, huh? Lexis was the other girl other than me who tried out for the competition. Not trying out exactly, because we were less than 7 members. We were 11 at first, but the others had dropped out a mere week after. But Lexis stayed and pushed on, she hadn't gotten the hang of it yet, but she was getting there.

'Participation is all that matters', Coach would say. He would go on to say that we should just go to represent the school and I believe that. All that matters is the experience, good or bad. Use that experience to try harder and better next time.