Jailbird

A stands up, his arms limp at his sides. Though he's out of it, he still can't help but observe. What has he done? He's taken a life. For the first time in his life, he's taken a life. He's hurt something. Deprived something of... anything. He doesn't even know how to feel.

"I REPEAT, COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!"

That voice booms through the air once more. A rough, deep voice that cracks under the strain of emotion. Whoever it must be, they must be quite shaken right now, he notes.

Two pairs of feet slam against the ground, the weight behind them evident, making it clear that they're wearing what just be Kevlar vests, and are fully equipped for conflict.

"...Bust it down."

That same man speaks from beyond the door, and without further warning, the door slams open. Two individuals appear, as indicated. One has blonde, short and spiky hair, as well as light blue eyes that strike true, while the other has straight, almond coloured hair that conceals the colour of his brown eyes ever so slightly with each movement he makes.

Both hold a lighter skin complexion, toned and masculine, with clearly defined features. The blonde one looks to be in his later thirties, while the brown haired one seems to be in his later twenties.

They're dressed,  yet again, as indicated, in Kevlar vests, sky blue police uniforms,  and black cargo pants which most probably store ammunition. There are holsters attached to their hips, but they've already pulled out their pistols, aiming them at the man whose eyes have never left the floor.

"HANDS UP!"

The blonde man yells, his pistol pointed at A. Yet A doesn't budge from his spot, nor does he move his gaze.

"...HA--!"

"Adam..."

The almond haired man cuts the blonde haired man, now named Adam, off, bringing his attention to something. A head peeking out from behind the desk, laying on the floor. Gabriel's head, bruised at the neck.

"..."

The two fall silent just as A turns to face them, a neutral, indifferent expression on his face. They lower their weapons, the sheer surprise having taken them off-guard, like a dagger in their back.

"...You killed her..."

Adam mutters, his eyebrows furrowed. His gaze raises to meet A's, a look of fear embedded into his eyes.

"..."

He grits his teeth, his arms pointing out towards A. That fear turns to anger, searing his mind with memories of the past.

His finger on the trigger, fury in his eyes and blood rushing through his veins, Adam fires one shot.

"Adam!"

The almond haired man's voice is heard one more time as A's artificial skin, flesh and bones are pierced. A red mist leaves his body in a miniscule cloud, a hole forming in his chest. Vermilion stains his shirt, and he stumbled back.

Yet his eyes never leave the man before him, absorbing every single minute detail within hai expression and appearance. The way his lips curve, the way his eyes remain wide with anger, mixed with fear, the way his arms shake ever so slightly under pressure, the way his breathing quickens even more than it already has and the puff of his chest with every mouthful of air passing through his lungs...

All of these things make A think something.

"...You are special."

He speaks, monotonous as always, his red eyes piercing through the pair before him. Though 'blood" leaks from his wound, he couldn't find himself caring any less.

"...You have something. Tell me, what is it?"

"...What...?"

The anger in Adam's face dissipates within an instant, replaced instead by uncertainty. How is this thing still alive, how is it not writhing in pain, and how is it meeting his gaze, unfaltering? Both men stop, their hearts growing unreasonably anxious.

"W-W̸h̶a̸t̴ ̴m̴a̶k̴e̵s̷ you a̷̼̟̰̘̮͈̖̥̥̳̭̖̱̦͆̈̓̋̒̌̄̐̆̾́͋͜͝l̷̨̨͉̜̻̘̣̺̳̥͕̋̓̀͒̃͘͜i̸͔͕̯̘͇͊̓̂̓̊͊́͊͋̈́v̷̫̮̰̣̞͕̽̂̋̓̓͐͒e̵̫̬̣͉͍̖̺̘̩̿?"

These words ring through the room, shattered and broken, and though he can't understand what the hell it means, Adam feels, deep down, that this thing sees something in him. That it knows something about him.

"..."

He swallows a lump in his throat, feeling a tinge of fear in his brain. They both do.

Adam opens his mouth to answer, but just as he does, A falls limply on his back, hitting the floor under him with a thud. And everything goes black.

                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                              REBOOT
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                               FAILED
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                              REBOOT
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
                                    .
BIOS... SUCCESS;
AUDIO... SUCCESS;
VIDEO... SUCCESS;
MOBILITY... SUCCESS;
GPS... FAILED;
COMMUNICATIONS MODULE... SUCCESS;
AI MODULE... SUCC̶͑͌͛͑͝E̸̛̐͌͐̐̌͑͗S̵̛͗͊̂̃̀͑̓̀̚̚͝S̵̨̢̛̮̦̹̪̱̲͉͇͔̗̱̞̠̩̳̯̄́̉̇͊̿̑́͗̓̌́͐͂͌̐̂͆͌̽͝͝͝͝ͅͅ;
ALL SYSTEMS... NOMINAL;

08:37 DECEMBER 15 2035;
LOCATION UNKNOWN;
AIC... DISCONNECTED;

The sound of pitter-pattering fills A's mind, and raindrops coat his body in a slick sheet of clean water, contrasted only by the cold feeling of mud below him. His eyes open, and there's no vermilion in them any longer, only the pitch black colour it had before.

His shirt clings to his flesh, his hair sticking to his face, and his trousers, as well as his boots, have wet mud smeared over them, making him look terrible.

There's something above him, a darkness. One filled with... stars. Dots in the sky that flicker and shine ever so dimly, like glitter in the background of a beautiful piece of art.

Is this the first time he's seen them? He can't tell, yet he stands up, not knowing any better. He looks around, observing everything that's layed out before him. And the conclusion that he comes to, is that he was thrown into a junkyard.

Piles upon piles of Android corpses, one bigger than the other dot the space the space he finds himself in. They're all inactive, save for the ones that wander and shamble through this sick, damp, and condemned place.

Only a dark, dreary atmosphere, lined with the voices of broken-down, malfunctioning androids and the depressive qualities of this place, seemingly situated away from the city is transmitted as information into his 'mind'.

If you told him this was Hell, he would agree.