Chapter 2. Homeless for a night

Friday, December, 8th, 2031

"Still feels weird." Said Aiko who was sitting on the couch watching the tv.

"What is?" Asked Ramona, looking up from the book she got at the library

"It being Friday and no game to watch."

"Your watching a game right now"

"You know what I mean"

Aiko made a new friend at school who was into basketball. They asked her to watch the games so she can help the sport not die, but the little effort was probably all a waste. Normal sports just weren't as popular as the Trials. Even Ramona would rather watch the Trials than a group of men running up and down a court with an orange ball. She was glad that she found something else to watch though. Liking to watch the Trials always seemed like an odd trait for her. She seemed more like the type of person to watch cartoons or girly tv shows. Ramona would sometimes fear that she might want to join the games when she turned fifteen like so many other kids. The arena was only a half hour bus ride and if you join they pay for your bus tickets. Most kids in the country can't afford to move here to enter so most of the contestants are from the two small towns that it's between in.

The Trials of Panic, they started not long after world war three, the war that changed the world for the worst. You are in one of two factors. You are rich or you are poor. There is barely an in between and the few people who are in that between must stay on their toes at all times in order to stay there. It is commonly known that when you become an adult your life will be nothing, but work and a few simple pleasures. That is why the old are always telling the young to live their free lives wisely.

But most didn't want or couldn't spend their young lives having fun and taking life head on. They needed to make money for their families, for themselves. That is why the Trials were never in danger of running out of people to play. There were always people desperate enough to risk their lives.

The rules for the game are simple. Don't kill anyone on purpose and do what you need to to win. Those are the only two rules for the Trials of Panic. Surprisingly most people don't take it too far. They will play dirty, but they won't try and hurt anyone. Though of course they have been times when things got violent. That is why she would never let Aiko join the Trials. She couldn't stand watching her go through games that could end her life. There are always at least a few deaths every year and she will make sure it is never Aiko.

She returned to her book, finishing the last few pages. If she starts now she can have the essay done by tonight.

"I forgot what team I was cheering for..." Said Aiko as Ramona got up.

She smiled as she left her to her game wondering if she was going to start watching basketball more often. Going to her room she got to work on the essay until she got hit with a craving for tea. The essay was half way done by this point so it was a good time to take a short break. Going to the kitchen she warmed up a teapot of water. She went to the kitchen door that led into the living room to ask Aiko if she wanted her to bring her a cup when it was done, but before she could say anything she saw someone pass the window. No, two people crossed the window. Dad was home and he had someone with him.

Dad hated noise and they didn't know what mood he was in so just in case she had to tell Aiko to turn off the tv.

"Aiko!" She hissed

Aiko knew what that tone of voice meant and reached for the remote next to her, clicking off the tv right before the door swung open. As soon as it opened cold and the smell of alcohol hit her. She didn't think she would ever get used to that smell as she covered her nose briefly. Dad walked in smiling with a giggly blond haired woman behind him. He stopped when he saw them as if he forgot he had two daughters. Aiko got her looks from him, he had dark brown hair with a dark red tint that was starting to thin a little at the back. His eyes were green, but not as green as hers. He must have met this woman at work because as he took off his long brown coat he was still in his uniform underneath. Gray pants, gray button up t-shirt with white long sleeve shirt underneath.