2

EMMA

The entire extended family was here, a parade of smug smiles and thinly veiled barbs. Aunt Mildred, notorious for her fashion crimes and even worse gossip, sidled up to me, her voice dripping with saccharine sweetness.

Crystal clinking against crystal, the murmur of a hundred conversations, and the smell of a thousand overpriced hors d’oeuvres assaulted my senses as I walked into the colossal ballroom. Jane’s engagement party. Ugh.

“Isn’t Jane just darling?” she cooed, fluttering her mascara-laden eyelashes. “Engaged to such a successful young man! Must be so nice to have your little sister all settled down.”

Settled down? Jane was barely two years younger than me, and her “successful young man” looked like he spent more time at the gym than getting an actual job. I gritted my teeth, forcing a smile.

“Absolutely thrilled for her,” I chirped, my voice tight.

Aunt Mildred patted my hand condescendingly. “There, there. Maybe someday your prince charming will come along too.”

Prince charming? Please. My dating life was a revolving door of dud dates and even worse blind setups.

Across the room, I spotted Jane, a vision in white lace, giggling with her gaggle of equally preened bridesmaids. They looked like they belonged on the cover of a wedding magazine, not mingling with a bunch of overdressed relatives.

A wave of frustration washed over me. Here I was, jobless and living on the charity of my aunt and uncle, while Jane waltzed into a life of luxury on someone else’s arm.

Feeling a desperate need for something stronger than sparkling water, I navigated my way to the bar. The bartender, a man with a bored expression and a perfectly sculpted beard, raised an eyebrow.

“Can I get you something?” he drawled.

“Something strong,” I muttered, shoving a crumpled ten-dollar bill at him.

He poured me a generous amount of amber liquid into a chilled glass. I downed it in one go, the fiery burn a welcome distraction from the churning emotions inside me.

Stupid party. Stupid family.

Another drink later, and the world seemed a little brighter, or maybe just blurrier. The forced smiles and whispered gossip were less noticeable, the music thrumming through the room more inviting.

Suddenly, a hand landed on my shoulder. I spun around, bracing myself for another round of Jane-worship, but instead, I found myself face-to-face with Alex.

His hair was slightly ruffled, a playful glint in his eyes. “Hey,” he said, his smile genuine. “Didn’t expect to see you here drowning your sorrows.”

Was it the alcohol, or was Alex actually starting to look...attractive? I scoffed, trying to sound nonchalant. “Sorrow-drowning? Please, I’m just celebrating my sister’s impending nuptials.”

“Right,” he said, his voice laced with amusement. “Because everyone celebrates engagements with straight vodka.”

My cheeks flushed. Busted. “Look,” I sighed, leaning against the bar. “It’s just...complicated.”

“Complicated how?” he asked, his voice gentle.

I hesitated. Could I really confide in him? He was just a kid, after all. But then I remembered the way he stood up for me yesterday, the warmth of his hug, and the unexpected spark I felt. Maybe, just maybe, he wouldn’t judge.

Taking a deep breath, I launched into a tirade about Aunt Mildred’s comments, Jane’s picture-perfect life, and my own frustrating lack of direction. The words tumbled out, fueled by the alcohol and the unexpected comfort of his presence.