chapter twenty-nine

"but all i see is youand nothing else matters

and nothing else matters."
- Baby It's You, London Grammar

I work my way through the crowd, slipping closer and closer until I'm at the front of the barricade, red and blue lights illuminating the swarming street.

I'm there for about twenty minutes before I finally spot Bucky, walking past ambulance vehicles, nurses and police officers, side by side with John Walker.

The people around me spot them, too, and go crazy, calling out to John. Some scream praise, some degrade, and some just scream for attention, fawning over the man. Neither Bucky nor John spare a glance to this crowd, or the news cameras and reporters that stand in between.

I cup my hands around my mouth before I yell. "Bucky!"

He turns immediately, brows furrowed as he searches for me. We lock eyes and I beam at him, giving an enthusiastic wave of my hand. A crooked smile graces his features briefly before he grabs the closest officer. He says something to the male officer before pointing to me. The officer then jogs over and lets me through the barricade after confirming my name. Having the title Doctor in front of my name is a nice little loophole.

Bucky moves behind one of the Ambulances, out of view from the crowd and the cameras, while I'm escorted over. As soon as I too am hidden behind the vehicle, I throw myself onto him.

Bucky's arms wrap around me and lift me from the ground, and I wrap my legs around his waist.

"Hey-" he chuckles. "What are you doing here?" he asks over my shoulder.

"I'm sorry.." I start, as he sets me back onto my feet. He keeps his hands around my waist as I continue. "..I saw the crowd gathering on the news. It looked safe enough, so I just had to come and see you. I wanted to be here for you when it was over."

He smiles warmly at me before leaning in for a quick kiss. "You're flirting with danger, doll.." he purrs, wearing a smirk.

"I figured that by the time I made it down here, everything would be over." I say, but it comes out more of a question.

"Not yet, doll. John and I got the Flagsmashers, they've been taken into custody. It's down to Sam and Karli, now." he explains.

"Evening Doctor." John interrupts, emphasising my title.

"Mr. Walker." I give him a nod of acknowledgement. "How are you this evening?"

Bucky unwraps his metal arm from my waist and moves so we're standing side by side, but keeps his right hand on the small of my back.

"Very well, all things considered." John replies with a respectful nod, before turning his attention to Bucky. "I want to thank you, Sergeant Barnes. For your mercy and your guidance, for showing me the right path and allowing me to right my wrongs." He extends a hand to Bucky.