twelve

BLAIR'S POV
November 1st, 2007

The Monday after I broke up with Toby, I was late to school, forgetting that he wasn't giving me a ride. I drove my own car to school, parking in the parking lot and rushing in, apologising profusely to my teacher.

Instead of sitting in my usual seat next to Toby, I sat in an unused seat in the corner of the room, behind Bill. As the teacher began talking, Tom turned to me.

"So it's officially over?" Tom asked. I just nodded, not really wanting to talk about it. "Damn. I didn't think you had it in you, Blair."

I looked up at him through my eyelashes, tearing up a little bit. If I was being totally honest, I didn't really care that I'd lost Toby. I'd came to the realisation that I didn't like him as much as I thought I did, I was just used to him. That's why I hadn't wanted to have sex with him. It wasn't because I wanted to stay a virgin, or wait for the 'right moment', I just wasn't really attracted to Toby.

What did upset me was the fact he'd lied and cheated, and done so many other things, yet I never had the courage to leave him for three years. That's why what Tom said got to me. Because, up until Saturday, it was true, I really didn't have it in me.

Bill smacked Tom on the arm. "Leave her," he said. Tom muttered an apology to me and turned back to the conversation he was having with the girl in front of him. I nodded thankfully at Bill and he gave me a reassuring smile, before joining in his brother's conversation.

I tapped my pencil on my table, looking down at the chemistry homework that was due in after lunch. I hadn't been to tutoring in two weeks, and it was really showing. There was just one question I was stuck on.

 There was just one question I was stuck on

BILL'S POV
November 1st, 2007

I felt something thin tapping my shoulder, turning around to see Blair, pencil in hand, with last week's chemistry homework sat in front of her, the chemistry homework that was due in about four hours.

"Help?" She asked. I smiled and looked at the question, explaining what some of the words meant and what the equation was. I looked down at her as she did the question, telling me not to turn around yet in case she got it wrong.

I heard a coughing from the other side of the room, looking away from Blair to see Toby staring us down, making me laugh a little. He looked angry, and so he should be. The fact he'd lied about me and made people think I'd genuinely do something like that pissed me all the way off, so the fact that something I was doing was upsetting him satisfied me.

"You done?" I asked, turning back to Blair, making sure to smile extra widely. She nodded and handed me the paper. I glanced over her answer, shaking my head and putting it back down. I handed her the paper and pointed to her equation. "Switch those two numbers around, then you'll have it."

She did so, using her calculator to work out the new, correct answer and writing it down. She smiled, thanking me. "Can we start up the tutoring again this Saturday?" She asked, "These past two weeks have really made me realise how much I need it."

"Of course we can, just make sure not to storm out and yell at me this time."

"No promises."

I smiled, turning back around to Tom. He looked at me, that all-too-familiar smirk on his face, the smirk he'd had the other three times I'd liked a girl. I knew exactly what it meant by how.

"No, Tom."