11

Wounds sting my legs with every step I take. I grit my teeth, determined not to show the pain as I enter the tavern. Music drums into my ears and makes the ground vibrate underfoot. The deep beat drilling through my bones makes my already sore legs even more unsteady, and I teeter slightly to the side before steadying myself. I make my way through the tavern, eyes searching for Boro.

My eyes latch onto another person. Dark brown eyes pierce through the crowd, Rivya looking directly at me, watching me as she sips her drink. I had forgotten about her deal. By tomorrow, I need to hand over the gold coins in the tavern's vault. Yet one more thing to add to my agenda.

I turn, scanning the bar when I spot a much friendlier face. Cue's back. I push through the crowd and slide onto one of the stools.

"Cue," I say. She glances behind her from the glasses she's lining up. Her lips purse, and she turns back to her task. I blink, eyes darting to the sides. "Cue?"

She turns all the way around. Despite the tawny-colored concealer on her face, a red gash slices from her forehead down her slightly-rounded cheeks.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I don't... want to talk." She tries to turn around, but I reach out a hand, placing it inches away from her on the counter.

"Just describe them, and I'll hunt them down."

Tears cloud Cue's eyes. "I don't want you to," she whispers, barely audible over the drumming bass solo.

"Well, if you don't tell me, I'll spend the next few weeks hunting down them myself. It'll take longer, but I'll do it."

"It's not that simple." A single tear slips down her cheeks, and for a moment, I'm struck by how young she seems, like my sister Stellae was. "They were looking for you."

"Really."

"Yes. They kidnapped me and wanted me to give information on you, like where you live, work, habits, etc. I didn't tell them anything at first but..." Her facade cracks with a few sobs. She places her hand over her face, trying to cover her tears before the hardened patrons notice the bartender has broken down.

"It's okay," I say. The visit I received yesterday makes much more sense now. "Do you have any idea of who abducted you?"

Cue shakes her head. Her long, silver hair shifts, falling behind her shoulder.

"Can you describe them? Or the location you were taken?"

Her lips purse. "I can't describe the people. I was kept in a dark room for four days, my wrists strapped to the metal arms of a chair. I... I think they put an IV in my arm to give me fluids." She lifts her sleeve to show me a dark, purple bruise on her elbow. She pulls it down and seems to crumple in on herself. "They spoke to me over an intercom that made a crackling sound, distorting their speech."

"Did you hear anything?"

Cue chews her lip. "Not really. Though a few times, I thought I heard a grinding or mechanical sound outside the door. It was super faint, though."

"Hmm." My eyes drift to the counter. Her story reminds me of another missing person. Could the same people who took Cue have taken Raena?"

But there's a piece missing. It makes sense why Raena would be taken, to get information on Argon. It doesn't make sense why someone would want information on me. There's nothing special about me compared to the other Elyminai in the city. Unless it's because of my dealings with Talc.

Then there's the other piece missing about Chromeface working for Gang One. Why abduct one of the top official's wives from Gang One when he works for them? Was it an internal attempt to gain power over the entire organization?