Chapter Four: I Will Take Care of You (Part 1)

Once I had stepped out of the much needed hot steaming shower with Maru's help, she lead me over to the toilet seat that was next to a decently sized counter. I sat down as she handed me a towel to cover up with, politely keeping her eyes away from me. She leaned back into the shower and turned it off, starting to put away all of the products I used as I took the time to dry myself off. I took a look at my terribly torn up leg and cringed at the sight. I lightly touched the surface, wincing softly at the pain it gave off. There we a bunch of scratches and deep bruising all around that nearly made the whole thing turn black and blue. 

"Harvey sure is taking a minute to get back." I commented to fill the silence in the room. A part of me was nervous Kevin had made it difficult for him, but tried to remain positive. "Maybe he doesn't know the difference in women's underwear." 

Maru laughed at my joke and covered her mouth. "Mae, that's awful! Though, you could be right." She continued to giggle as she made her way over with a fresh roll of bandages. "I'll go ahead and get this done for you, so you don't have to worry about it later." 

She grabbed a bottle of antibacterial ointment and gently dapped it onto my wounds, trying not to hurt me anymore than I already had. I started to think of the worst case scenario as she continued her work, making me a more anxious. I knew how Kevin could be after having a long night of drinking, which made me nervous about how he was going to react when he would find out that I wasn't going to be coming home for awhile. Some nights were better than others, but lately he had become very possessive of me and my time. And Harvey going over there this early in the morning made me even more nervous that he wouldn't be in such a great mood. Though, what made me anxious more than anything was Harvey's judgment. I knew it wasn't my fault that Kevin chose to drink and act this way, but I felt sort of responsible for him. Like someone with a child or a pet. However they acted could reflect what the other one tolerated. 

A soft knock at the door caught our attention as Harvey cracked it open and set down a bag of my belongings on the floor. "I'm back with your things, Miss Mae. I apologize that it took so long. I had a bit of an interesting run in with your boyfriend." His voice sounded a bit serious. "Go ahead and get yourself dressed and comfortable. When you're back in your room, I'd like to have a moment to speak with you if you wouldn't mind?" 

My nerves started to get the better of me as I got the news I hoped I wouldn't. "Of course, I don't mind at all." I remained cheery toned. I heard the door click shut before letting out a stressed out sigh.

"Alright, I'm all done with your bandage!" Maru stood up and walked over to the bag on the floor and pulled out my things, setting them neatly on the counter beside me. "I'll let you get dressed while I go try and find those crutches for you. I'll also get you a wheelchair in case your arms start to ache. It'll only take a moment!" She gave a kind wave before rushing out the door.

Once I was finally alone to have some peace to myself, I removed the towel and tried my best to get dressed while sitting down. I put on one of my simple cream colored oversized t-shirts and a shimmied both my fresh pair of underwear and black shorts up and over my legs, trying hard to not put any unwanted pressure on my leg. I then grabbed of my lavender scented deodorant and put it on from underneath my shirt. The last thing I had to do was to get all of the knots out of my insanely tangled curly ginger hair. Without the products I used at home, nearly anything else I used would caused a matted up mess. Painfully combing through my hair, I finally got it back to its original somewhat smooth state. 

Maru quickly knocked on the door before entering with the wheelchair. "No luck on the crutches, so I supposed you're gonna be on wheels for a minute." She laughed nervously and rubbed the back of her neck. "I really don't know where those darn things got off to. I'll just have to mention it to Dr. Harvey later. Anyways, I see you're finally all freshened up and ready to go? I bet you feel much better than you did before."

"Before I went into the mines or after?" I giggled as she walked over and helped me into the chair. "Thank you, Maru. You really do make a great nurse." I complimented before rolling my way towards the door.

"Of course! And that was so sweet, thank you!" She walked behind me and began helping me steer my way around. "These things are pretty tricky at first, but I know you'll get the hang of it." She turned into the room full of beds and sat me next to mine. "I see that Harvey already went ahead and put new sheets and everything on for you. How sweet." She smiled and walked over to towards the curtains. "He should be in here shortly. Take care, Mae!" She waved goodbye before closing the curtains to give me some more privacy. 

I took a deep inhale and exhale, feeling my stress levels rise as I thought about what Harvey could have wanted to talk to me about. I sent him to the farm without thinking about how Kevin would have been there or what sort of a state he may have been in. Everything happened so quickly, I didn't have time to come up with any excuses.