Mehenga Tohfa

New story 🥰

Song : 'Shayad' from 'Love Aaj Kal'

***

First Person P.O.V (Male)

***

Life is so fast paced at times that you don't even realize when time passes by in a blur. It's like one moment you're in your one room bachelor pad in Gurugram on a Saturday evening, chilling with popcorn and Netflix and the other day you are called by your devoted parents to meet a 'sundar , susheel , padhi likhi kanya' in your paternal home in Delhi , and then after a month you are married off to that said 'kanya'. Finally , you are standing on the bustling platform of New Delhi railway station after more than 5 months with a blue-gray suitcase and ticket in hand with your 'wife'.

My wife, Mishti Arora, is standing with her back facing me , in a coral red suit with mirror work and a matching dupatta which is spread across her chest. She is looking across the empty rail track awaiting the arrival of the express train. She has her phone in her right hand while her left hand's index finger keeps scratching the corner of the worn out custom phone case which has a blue jay on it. A bad habit. She has a bad habit of scratching anything she gets her hands on when she's anxious which I noticed in the initial months of us being a 'married couple'.

 She has a bad habit of scratching anything she gets her hands on when she's anxious which I noticed in the initial months of us being a 'married couple'

She turned around swiftly, locking her black orbs with my hazel ones , lightning a buzz through my veins. "Aap pakka sambhal lenge? Me mummy se baat kar leti hu , vo samjhengi. Ye karna zaruri hai kya?" ( "Are you sure you will handle it? I will talk to mom, she will understand. Is it necessary to do this?" ) She asked me in her soft , melodious voice I had listened to a few times before I became her prospective groom and now had grown accustomed to it. Since the day I have known her she has had an expressive voice which often changed its pitch with her mood. Right now it was clearly apprehensive.

"Jab teen din pehle maine yahi sawal kiya tha ki iski zarurat hai kya? Tab to aap dono ne lecture diya tha ki rituals should be given importance in life." ( "When three days ago I had asked the same question whether there is a need for this? Then both of you had given a lecture that rituals should be given importance in life." ) She sighed after hearing me as if accepting the impending or was it the sigh which said 'I don't know what to do'. I am still in the process of learning the full 'patni ki bhasha' ('wife's language'). She isn't so hard to read. So the sigh probably meant that she wants me to clarify her doubt.

Her kohl lined eyes which make them pop even more, the small red bindi , the blood-red lipstick on her plump lips , the armful of red bangles which make a jingling sound whenever she moves her hands to tuck her flyaways behind her ear which had escaped the neatly made braid of black , luscious hair that rested at the small of her back and of course the 'sindoor' filled in her hair partition and the 'mangalsutra' decked on her neck , are the tell-tale signs of her being a 'newly wedded woman'.