CHAPTER 1

Scarlett's POV 

No one is batting an eye as the tall man glares harshly at my little boy.

No one even notices this except me. Probably because I am his Mother and I am the closest person to them.

The fact that there is a man in front of my boy is enough to make me halt in my tracks out of curiosity but having him sweep his cold, ruthless expression over Ryan is way too much.

Curiosity eats at me at what the boy must have done to him to deserve such an icy stare.

I know how Ryan can be. He can be sweet and understanding when he wants to but other times, he can be notorious.

I find myself taking a step towards them when the man shifts his gaze to me sending shivers of ripples down my spine. A sense of relief washes through me for the distraction but then I notice he is watching me with the same hatred.

Should I call this hatred or anger?

Maybe if he wasn't this mad, I would have been able to appreciate his well-built body and handsome features but no. This man here is not a good person and should not be appreciated.

However, I notice what he is wearing. He is in ripped blue jeans, a white button-up shirt holding his well-built body firmly, and brown Italian shoes.

I swallow the lump of dread in my throat and adjust my glasses. 

Clad in a simple well-ironed black gown like a student in a uniform standing before a Professor in the University, I force down a smile, nervous for the very first time in years about my dress. "I'm sorry for whatever the little boy must have done to you, sir."

He does not blink or move. His expression does not change either. He is just standing there like a statue meant to be placed in this position now and forever.

I'm sure if he is placed as a statue here, it will attract more customers to the never-busy restaurant. 

Did he hear me? Is he deaf and dumb? Is he a psycho? A non-human? A cold-blooded murderer or a kidnapper?

I know my thoughts are running wild but I can't help it because this man looks out of place, like he doesn't belong here. Aside from that, it is the least expected of me as a Mother.

My heart drum wildly in my ribcage at the last thought that he must have registered my son's face and will therefore do anything possible to take his revenge without giving a care in the world about the boy's age.

Ryan is just 5 years old.

I wish I can shout that to him desperately but I can't find my voice. 

He is just 5 years old. He clocked 5 years today and I decided to bring him out for a birthday breakfast. It has become a ritual since he became 2, to always come out for breakfast on his birthday as well as dinner.

Ryan and I were eating when I excused myself for a few minutes because I needed to use the restroom. I warned him not to leave the seat until I am back and the boy is still seated in his seat, making me wonder what exactly he must have done to annoy this devil of a man.

I clear my throat, attempting to try my luck at apologizing again when he grumbles and walks past me, almost bumping his shoulder with mine and his eyes finally leaving me.

I catch a whiff of a familiar scent as he walks past me and I am sure it is his cologne. I must have sniffed the same scent somewhere before because I am so damn sure I have never seen this man before in my entire life, even though those blue eyes he rested on me for a while seemed a bit familiar.