Chapter Two

"What? You want me, a human, to help you, a vampire, win back a crown? And wait... what do you mean win it back? I am so confused. What could I possibly do to help? I'm just a student. I've never even met a vampire before, except for the professors and now you. And isn't it some kind of political thing... I have no experience with politics, I don't even know anything about politics, I don't even follow human politics..."

"Let me handle that. But you being human is precisely the reason why I have decided to use you to help me in my scheme." The word "use" and the usually negative connotation of the word scheme didn't go unnoticed. "And your passion and commitment to the vampire cause as a human will aide me. Tie in the fact that you happen to be writing your thesis on Vampiria; it seems we were meant for each other, wouldn't you agree, Miss Johnson?" His voice is soft and sensual, his lips tilted in a smirk, showing a single fang. Reminding me of my place on the food chain.

My gaze roves from his lips to his eyes, and they lock me in, pull me. I feel as if I'm being swept up into them; his eyes become my entire world as the rest fades away. He laughs satisfactorily and the spell is broken.

"Y-yes, Mr. Hyde."

"Good. I have spoken with your headmaster to allow me an hour of your time every day. I will begin to tell you about my childhood in Vampiria, and you may use all facts in your thesis. You will be the new mother of Vampiria. And of course, you will go down in history for it." His smirk becomes wider and more like an aristocrat looking down on a commoner. He lifts my hand and gently kisses my knuckles while staring into my eyes through thick lashes. "I will be awaiting your arrival to my estate at 5pm tomorrow evening." He drops my hand and begins to walk away. "Good day, Miss Johnson."

He doesn't disappear. He saunters towards the door with a swagger. I roll my eyes at his back. I hate his arrogant personality.

I look back toward the book that he had been so enraptured in just moments before. Sliding my finger across the top, I pull it out gently. It is classically printed in leather, and I read the title. "BloodRose." I grew curious as to why Demetri had been so interested in a book that sounded like a romance novel. He didn't seem the type.

I opened the book to the first page and caught the author's name. Grimwald Hyde. Hyde. As in Demetri Hyde. I wonder who he is to him. His father, maybe?

That was the thought that made me come to the realization that I knew nothing about Demetri Hyde. No one did.

I moved to set the book back on the shelf when something beige fluttered to the ground. Oh crap, did a page fall out? It did seem like a very old, very fragile book. I bent to retrieve the paper and frowned. My name stared back at me.

· * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's almost time for your date!" Sylvia exclaims as she checks the time on her phone. "You might want to get dressed now if you want to be there on time."

"It's not a date, Sylvia. He invited me to his home to talk about my thesis." I didn't tell her about the part where he wanted me to help him reign over Vampiria again. I don't know why, but it just didn't seem right to talk to anyone about. I could barely fathom it myself.

"Well, still. You need to get dressed. You have a chance to wear your fancy Victorian clothing!"

"I know, but I have no idea what I should wear. Do I wear a dinner dress, a walking dress, a casual dress?" I ponder. Sylvia smiles slyly and disappears into our large closet. She returns with a dark red velvet dress with folds of a black taffeta underskirt showing in the front.