More Than Just Teammates

Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Dinesh Karthik are two of India's premier wicketkeeper-batsmen. Dhoni, often hailed as "Captain Cool," is known for his icy demeanor and sharp leadership, while Karthik, dubbed the "Comeback King," is celebrated for his timely heroics and resilience. Both made their debut in the same series in 2004, marking the start of their illustrious careers.

To the world, they were merely teammates representing their country, but those within the team knew better. Dhoni and Karthik shared a bond deeper than what was visible on the field. They were best friends, inseparable in both their highs and lows, and rarely seen apart from each other.

Their comrades often observed how the duo seemed to be mere companions who enjoyed each other's company. On six separate occasions, their teammates concluded that they were simply friends who cherished spending time together.

1
The Long Bus Rides
The Indian cricket team is on their way to the hotel from the airport. The team bus, filled with players and staff members, is bustling with activity.

DK is sitting in the last window seat of the bus, looking outside and waving at the fans. He senses someone sitting down next to him and thinks it's Mahi, but when he turns, he sees that Yuzi has taken the seat instead.

"Yuzi yeh seat Mahi ke liye rakha tha mene.. tum kanhi aur baith jao na." DK said
"DK bhai Mahi bhai kanhi aur baith jayenge na aur bhi seats hai mujhe yahan baithne dijiye na please.." Yuzi said and before DK could say anything he started doing something on his phone.

When Mahi boarded the bus and headed to his usual seat at the back, he noticed that Yuzi was sitting there. He glanced at DK, who simply shrugged his shoulders.

"Yuzi" Mahi called
"Yes Mahi bhai" Yuzi said putting off his phone.
"Tere Kul ke paas jake baith yeh meri seat hai." Mahi said
"Bhai meri uske saath ladai hui hai.. main uske paas nahi baithunga" Yuzi said with a pout.
"Itni saari seat khali padi hai tu koi aur seat pakad phir." Mahi said
"Bhai aap kanhi aur jake baith jao na.. please" Yuzi said with his puppy dog eyes.
"Drama matt kar aur ja yahan se meri seat chod mujhe." Mahi said

The entire team watched the interaction with smiles on their faces. Their usually calm and composed Mahi bhai was arguing with his Tilli over a seat. Obviously, he would never let anyone else sit beside DK on the team bus. Those two always sat together, without exception.

"Yuzi tu idhar aaja.. mere paas baith" KL said and Yuzi nods.
"Baitho aap apne Dino ke paas.. jaraha hoon main." Yuzi said like a child, took his bag and goes to KL.

Mahi placed his bag on the rack of the bus and then sat down beside DK.
"Hey" Mahi said
"Hi" DK said
"No book?" Mahi asked
"Mood nahi hai.." DK replied

Both Mahi and DK sat in silence, simply enjoying the team atmosphere. Virat was attempting to keep Rohit awake. Bhuvi, appearing uninterested, was nonetheless listening to Jaddu's stories from Jamnagar. Meanwhile, Kul was apologizing to Yuzi. Jassi was engrossed in his book, largely ignoring Hardik, who was going on about something or other. Around them, some team members were engaged in conversation, while others were absorbed in their phones.

Then DK plugged in his earbud and handed the other one to Mahi. Together, they got lost in the world of music, whispering to each other about everything and anything.

When Virat and Rohit went to see their Mahi bhai to complain about each other, they found Mahi and DK asleep. DK's head was resting on Mahi's shoulder, and Mahi's cheek was pressed against DK's head. A blanket draped over their bodies, and an earbud was still in each of their ears.