Chapter 4: Truth

Season 1, Episode 5

Serena listens as Brennan asks, "Before proceeding with emaceration, any general observations? Zack?"

Zack lists, "Epiphysial fusion puts the age at approximately six to ten years, though the stature suggests younger."

"Good. I concur," Brennan nods, "Cause of death?"

"Blunt trauma to the chest."

Serena moves some of Jack's tools around next to him before he settles one of his hands on her back, "Hey, you alright?"

"It's just my first case with a kid this young. He's so small."

Jack nods, a look of sympathy in his eyes, "Do you wanna talk or-"

"The body was significantly degraded by insect and animal activity, mostly dog and rodent. I'd say, despite the condition of the remains, he's only been dead between 36 and 48 hours," Serena turns to Brennan.

He sighs, nodding, "I concur."

Brennan gestures to the clothes and other belongings, "These were found a few yards from the body. Notice that they are in perfect condition. What does that tell you?"

"The victim wasn't wearing them when he was killed," Zack answers.

"Which suggests he was sexually assaulted."

Angela hands Brennan her drawing pad, "I'm done."

Brennan holds the picture up to the missing persons report, "I think we have a match. The clothing matches. It's Charles Gregory Sanders."

⌻⌻⌻⌻

Goodman holds up envelopes, "These are invitations to a banquet."

Brennan takes one roughly out of his hand, "You called a special meeting to invite us to a party?"

"Don't think of it as an invite, consider it a summons. It's for donors."

Jack stands up as Goodman moves to stand in front of him, "Meet and greet, press the flesh, butt-kiss...."

"I don't like it anymore than you do," Goodman reminds him, "But these people fund our research, and all they want in return is to rub elbows with a scientist every once in a while."

"Can't make it."

Brennan shakes her head, "Yeah, me, neither."

Angela shrugs, "I have a date that night."

"You don't even know when it is," Goodman holds up the invitation to her, "Yes, Mr. Addy?" He asks as he passes Zack, who is raising his hand.

"What kind of food will there be?"

Serena sighs, "Seeley and I have brother-sister plans..." She looks at the date, "That night. Oh, wait, we actually do, sweet."

Goodman shakes his head, turning to the group, "When I said you should think of this invitation as a summons, I understated. It's a subpoena. A grand jury subpoena. Ignore it at your own peril."

Brennan argues with him, "You're not going to fire us if we don't go."

"No, not fire you, but I can move your parking spot to Lot M," He smiles, "Enjoy the shuttle ride."

"The shuttle smells like feet," Zack comments.

"Seeley's spot is right next to my current one. And it's just under S. Booth. I'm S. Booth," Serena smirks, "I have plans that night."

Sighing, Brennan sits down, "I know when I'm beat. I'm in."

Angela shrugs, "What the hell? It's a party."