Chapter 12

Chapter 12: McDonalds is a Dangerous Place to Go To

After that clusterfuck of a NERF battle, I stormed up to my team.

"The hell was that?!" I wondered.

Vali scratched his head apologetically. "Uh, they overwhelmed me."

"Take cover then!"

"Hey, it's not that serious," Evelyn said placably. "We're just having fun."

"It is that serious," I announced. "This is life-or-death. What you don't understand is that when it comes to pointless competitions, boys treat it like it's the end of the world."

Alice crossed her arms with a glare. "Jeez, you don't have to be so stuck up. Boys," she rolled her eyes and then turned to Vali. "You wouldn't be that way, right Val?"

Vali glanced at her nervously, before giving me a look that said "Help me out here!"

I gave him a hidden smirk.

He sighed and said to Alice, "Uh, no, of course not. We're just having fun... and stuff."

Vali, blink twice if you need help.

Alice smirked smugly at me. "See? Not all guys."

"Obviously, he's being coerced, but whatever," I muttered, but I let the subject drop anyway.

***

When the excitement of the NERF team deathmatch faded away, we all decided to chill for the rest of the sleepover.

Vali and his harem went to Trinity's room. Haleakala followed for whatever reason. He probably wanted to annoy my brother or something.

So that left Layla and I. We were in her room, laying on the bed as we watched Kung Fu Panda 4.

When the credits rolled, I shrugged. "It was good. But it was just weak compared to the others."

Layla sighed and crossed her arms. "I wanted more Tai Lung screen time. They could have done so much with him!"

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm not asking for him to be the Dragon Warrior or anything, I just wanted him to be, you know, an actual character. But no, they prioritized the fox, who had the most predictable plot twist of all time."

"Hopefully Shrek 5 doesn't disappoint."

"And we're gonna pretend that Megamind 2 doesn't exist."

Layla checked her phone. "Huh, it's already six."

"Damn, already?" I asked, yawning. "What have we been doing?"

She shrugged. "Gaming and fucking around."

Layla grabbed the blankets and pulled them all toward her. I knew she was trying to mess with me.

"Hey, give me some of the blankets, it's cold in here," I said.

Layla smirked. "Nah. You lost the NERF battle. I only share blankets with my nonexistent husband."

I sighed. "Bitch."

"Asshole."

We both glared at each other. Then we began to play wrestle, trying to throw each other to the ground. Layla wrapped her legs around me and twisted her body, nearly yanking me off the bed. On instinct, I grabbed her arm and hurled her over me as I fell. We both crashed to the ground, tangled up in Layla's blanket.

The two of us looked at each other, and then we broke into laughter.

"You didn't want to lose so you took me down with you, huh?" Layla asked.