Punch It

The excuses for being punched in the face on patrol and being swollen and bruised for school the next day we're as follows:

~I went to the dentist and had an allergic reaction~

~My brother punched me in the face~

~I got stung by a bee and I'm allergic~

~I'd rather not talk about it so get lost~

~(Sarcastically) Yeah, because I was fighting assassins all night~

~Football practice~

~baseball hit me in the face~

~kids can be cruel~

~Tennis~

~I study martial arts~

~Mind your business~

Some were obviously better than others.

The Batboys had numerous excuses up their sleeves to throw out at any given moment into the faces of gullible caring friends who ate it up with sympathy.

Usually, they didn't have to do the reverse when they came home from school and Bruce asked where Jason got the black eye.

"I have to study." Tim said as he excused himself.

"I have to train." Damian grunted as he also left.

"And I want to see what happens." Dick said as he leaned against the wall with a grin.

"Leave." Bruce sighed.

Dick frowned and pushed off the wall to jog up the stairs. Before he dissappeared down the hall he turned and said "Just so you know, I told him not to do it."

"Don't you have some girl to tell lies to?" Jason snapped.

Dick dissappeared and Bruce crossed his arms to look at Jason.

"Where did you get the bruised eye?" He asked.

"There's this new store down the street from school where I got it." Jason replied. "If you like it I could get you one half off."

Bruce was not laughing and after a second Jason's smile slipped away.

"Jeez, it was a joke." He muttered. "Why do you care? This isn't my first black eye."

"You can't get into fights at school." Bruce reprimanded. "Is that where you got it? A fight from school?"

"No." Jason huffed. "It was a street down the block from school. I wanted to walk home and some guys jumped me. No big deal."

"Jumped you? Who were they?" Bruce asked quickly as he started to walk to the front door, already ready to confront the parents.

"Just some deadbeat skaters on the streets." Jason said. "It's not a big deal."

"Are they from school?" Bruce asked.

"Maybe." Jason muttered. "Bruce, stop."

"Give me names." Bruce demanded.

"No need." Jason said awkwardly. He cleared his throat. "Their parents are probably already on the phone for you."

Bruce froze. "What?" He asked.

Jason rubbed the back of his neck and looked anywhere but at Bruce.

"You trained me and I thought I was being jumped by some criminals or something." Jason muttered.

Bruce's eyes widened. "What did you do?"

"Master Bruce?" Alfred cut in. "There's a call for you from a Mr. and Mrs. Thompson."

Bruce stared hard at Jason who was still awkwardly standing with his hands in his pockets.

The silence was finally broken when Jason said "But Damian thinks his teacher is an alien and Tim is a coward."

Bruce sighed and nodded at Alfred. "I'll be there in a minute."