𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝟴

After a long night poring over my studies, my body lay beneath the comforting bedsheets.

"Dan—"

The sudden appearance of Will startled me, causing me to jolt upright in bed.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," I scolded, shaking off the remnants of sleep.

"Apologies," Will offered, his expression unreadable. "I observed the altercation, you know."

"How?" I queried, perplexed by his sudden knowledge.

"Did you realize grim reapers possess the ability to traverse time?" Will interjected, his tone matter-of-fact.

"You're kidding," I exclaimed, incredulous.

"Not at all," he countered. "I could demonstrate if you wish."

"Now's not the time for that," I responded firmly. "So, what did you gather from the fight?"

"It seems my suspicions regarding Fox have been quelled," Will stated thoughtfully. "She appeared genuinely wounded by Crissie's actions, and there's a chance she harbours resentment towards Evie for sparking the altercation."

"Evie didn't initiate the conflict," I corrected him.

"Evie isn't entirely exonerated from our scrutiny; her manipulative tendencies are cause for concern," Will cautioned. "With the supernova looming on February twenty-fourth, three years from now, we must remain vigilant, Dante."

"What should I do next?" I inquired, feeling a sense of urgency.

"Follow your mother's advice," Will advised, his voice tinged with an enigmatic tone. "Though her intentions may differ, her guidance could prove invaluable."

"Understood," I affirmed, absorbing his counsel.

"That's all for now; our paths will diverge for a time," Will announced cryptically.

"Why? What's the reason?" I pressed, sensing an underlying tension.

"I'm devoting more time to orchestrating your revenge than my actual duties," Will confessed with a heavy sigh. "Throughout March, I'll be preoccupied with my responsibilities. I have to guide three departed souls and find them a place in an orphanage. It's a delicate process, especially considering one of the children was born on the fifteenth. Once the month begins, I won't be able to intervene."

"I understand," I responded solemnly.

"I'm truly sorry, Dante," Will said, offering a consoling pat on my shoulder. "This month, you're on your own. Perhaps you can mend the rift between your friends by opening up a dialogue. Duty calls, my friend."

With a wave, Will vanished in a swirl of energy. Left alone with my thoughts, I pondered my next move. How was I going to navigate this situation without Will's guidance?

(...)

Tuesdays always seemed to overflow with activity. Noah dashed off to football practice after the final bell, while Micheal was thrust into the spotlight as the lead host for the senior debate competition. Fox was sidelined by illness, leaving me to navigate the day in solitude. March had arrived whirlwind, thrusting us into its bustling rhythm.

Despite my popularity and the company of other friends, I felt an acute sense of loneliness. I found solace in the mundane routine of grabbing lunch in the cafeteria with my classmate, Dylan. As he departed early to rendezvous with his girlfriend, Olivia, I was left to my own devices, idly scrolling through my phone.

"Dante, can I talk to you?"

The voice interrupted my reverie, pulling my attention to Crissie.

"What's up?" I replied, lifting my gaze.