'Mama's Church'

Let's take a stroll down memory lane to a time when Sundays were an all-day affair, with the only Anglican and Baptist church in the settlement serving as the social hubs for the two Forbes clans. The morning service,a mix of solemnity and snickers as Uncle Edmeston,Big Man and Uncle Leonard the laymen who doubled as the unofficial stand-up comedians, delivered punchlines with each elocution and Uncle Charlie next door as the official clergyman of Driggs Hill. The singing? Let's just say the angels might've plugged their ears, but the charm was in the effort, not the execution.

Picture this: the organist, a sprightly quadragenarian with more energy than a toddler on a sugar rush, kicked off the evening with a rousing rendition of "Amazing Grace" that was anything but traditional. As the first chords struck, it was clear this was no time for solemn nods and quiet contemplation. This was a foot-stomping, soul-stirring, make-your-grandma-want-to-dance kind of hymn session.The choir, a motley crew of high altos and basses that could shake the stained glass, didn't just sing from the heart—they belted out hymns with such gusto that even the angels had to cover their ears. And let's not forget the drummer, a young fellow who couldn't resist a good cymbal crash. He added his own flair to the mix, turning each hymn into a divine jam session that had the pews rocking and the congregation rolling with laughter.

Then came the testimonies, each one more animated than the last. Brother John spoke of the goodness of God and how he miraculously turned water into wine at his daughter's wedding—never mind that it was actually just a mix-up by the caterers. Sister Mary recounted the time she prayed for a sign, and God sent a snake to rescue her from an unpaid bill—by running off with the BEC truck.By the end of the night, the spirit was so high that even the church mice were hallelujah-ing in the rafters. It was a night of joyous celebration, a reminder that faith and fun could go hand in hand, and that 'mama church' was not just a place of worship, but a home for hearty laughs and heavenly hilarity.

So if you ever find yourself in need of a good chuckle and a dose of the Holy Spirit, swing by St. Luke's Baptist on a Wednesday night. Just be sure to bring your dancing shoes and a sense of humor—you're going to need both!