Chapter 1

A/N: Hello everyone! As with my previous stories, I wanted to make a note about a few things. One, you can expect the usual Game of Thrones themes of abuse, miscarriage, traumatic childbirth, underage marriage, violence, incest, etc. Two, it will be depressing in many aspects and have a great deal of angst. Three, I am basing this off of the show. I have not read any GoT fanfics, only HotD, so I'm mostly winging this. And four, as with my past fics, the main point is NOT necessarily the love story, it is about the growth of the character! Theon Greyjoy is the intended love interest but the majority of the focus is on the OC's journey.

If you're still interested, go right ahead. For reference, the OC's face claim is Marina Moschen. If you look up gifs from her role as Selena in Deus Salve o Rei you'll see the image I have of her.

-

Winterfell, 298 AC

Their reproachful looks burned into her soul.

She was no stranger to warmth. She knew it from the embraces she shared with her parents and siblings. She knew it from the gentle fire that was lit in her chambers to keep her comfortable at night.

The North was cold, and though she was used to it, warmth was always preferred. Until now, she'd never felt that searing look of judgment. Suddenly, the cold appealed to her.

They were disappointed in her and it ached.

"You are certain?" asked her father sternly, pacing near the door of her parents' bedroom.

"Yes," she said, opting to look down at her feet. "I was meant to bleed, and I did not."

"One missed bleed is hardly a tell," said her mother. "The previous month–"

"–was faked," she interrupted. "I thought the same then. I pricked my fingers to stain the sheets. Two missed bleeds certainly means I am with child, does it not?"

Her father narrowed his eyes. "And how could you possibly be with child?"

She didn't dare look at him. "It doesn't need to be said, but I will admit it if it would please you."

"Yes, it would, if you believe yourself to be sufficiently grown for such a thing. Speak it plainly."

"I've been with someone, intimately."

"Who?" he demanded.

She refused to answer. "It does not matter."

"It matters when you are unwed and a Lady of Winterfell."

"You once said the past cannot be changed."

"It cannot, but it can serve to guide the way toward a good future. What sort of future do you envision for yourself if you keep to secrecy?"

She opted to try and change the subject, "Didn't you promise Bran you'd watch him practice today? He's been preparing to impress you and it would break his heart if you abandoned your promise to him."

"And what of your promise to us?" he inquired, remaining rooted to the spot. "A simple promise we asked of you to always be truthful, to always respect yourself, to be a good lady so you might not find trouble in life."

Still, she did not meet his gaze. "I never meant to break those promises, I meant only to nurture my own curiosities."

"Knowing full well the consequences of such a thing?"

Her mother addressed her husband. "Perhaps," she offered, "you might give us a moment alone?" She gave him a look as if to say, 'Go, I'm sure I can pry it out of her.'