Chapter Two

Just as night watch started on the 3rd day of their trip, Aywin and Syvis sat by the campfire tuning their respective instruments: A viol for Syvis and a lute for Aywin. The two of them sit together, having been sitting in silence for the majority of their time together so far. Since receiving Celestia's messages, Aywin has been trying harder to get Syvis to engage in conversation with little success. Throughout the last couple of days together, Syvis had been practically soundless. Whenever they were expected to respond, they would only say the bare minimum to reply. Erias, Prowler and Monyi asked Aywin in private if she would sit with Syvis for the first watch. They all figured that if anyone was going to be able to get Syvis to speak up, it would be her; considering that the two of them had known each other the longest. Aywin was overjoyed when Syvis finally pulled their viol out of its case, thinking that this would finally be a chance to break the silence.

Just as Syvis finished up their preparations to practice, they pulled a dark wine bottle out of their pack along with 2 mess kit cups. They quickly uncorked the bottle, pouring a healthy amount into each of the cups and offering one to Aywin with an empty expression on their face.

Aywin's heart did sink a bit as the wine was offered to her, partly knowing what was going on behind those vacant eyes. The last thing that she wanted was for Syvis to be drinking alone. She took the cup and raised it up in a silent toast before taking a sip. The wine was decadent and sweet, it warmed up the soul with surprising velocity. Aywin's eyes widened at the taste, and she looked back at Syvis to attempt to make conversation again.

"Wow... This is delicious! I don't think I've had a drink quite like it before." Aywin praises, taking another sip.

Syvis ended up chugging a good bit of the wine in their own cup, a spark of life coming back into their eyes as Aywin spoke.

"It's... special. Forge made it for me." Syvis muttered, taking another long drink.

Finally, more than a two word answer. Aywin leaned into it, notating some more things about the taste. "It's very lovely! You can tell a lot of care was put into it. It has a really cozy taste, what did he make it with?"

Syvis sets their now empty cup off to the side and wipes their mouth with their jacket sleeve. They pick up the bottle and begin to pour themselves some more. "Strawberries and Chocolate."

Aywin's eyes widened a little bit, knowing how expensive chocolate was to export to the Gilyla Isles. "Oh wow, that is pretty special." Aywin smiled, setting her cup down beside her. "I know that he usually makes brews and things for The Flaming Marigold, is this a wine that he sells? I'll have to see if I can buy a bottle."

Syvis shook their head, sitting the bottle back down on the ground. "Nope. It's just for Forge and I."

Aywin smiled brightly, thinking that the gesture was so adorable. "Oh! Well isn't that wonderful. You have something made just for the two of you, how sweet! I'm honored that you're sharing it with me, sugar."

Syvis slowly nodded, their face looked a bit conflicted, as if trying to decide how they should be feeling now. "I brought it for all of you to try. We're only sharing it with the people we care about. It's like our little secret menu item."

"I think that's grand, Syvis." Aywin complemented, "I think everyone's going to love it. Though, Prowler won't be able to taste it. It'd get all caught up in his circuits. Might cause problems." Aywin joked with a soft laugh, hoping to lighten the mood.

Syvis laughed a little under their breath in response, but their expression quickly went back to its original state. More time passed in silence as Syvis drained their cup two more times while they sat there thinking. It seemed like there wasn't going to be much that would make this situation less tense, so Aywin sighed and just came right out with it. "Syvis? Honey? What's been going on with you? It seems like you've been backpedaling a little bit recently... maybe slipping into some old habits?"