ONE

Chapter One | To Escape Death of the Endless |

Chapter One
| To Escape Death of the Endless |

The sweet scent of a painfully strong mug of tea was a prominent and vivid piece of evidence of the approaching red head. Her desire for strong peppermint tea was something both Edwin and Charles had grown accustomed to picking up on when the demon made her return. And with it, would come a faint hello to the boys from behind a thick cloud of steam radiating from the burning flavoured water.

For once, Envy the Demon however found herself alone in the offices as Edwin and Charles investigated a haunted museum.

With a huff, Envy took the empty office as an opportunity to steal Edwin's chair. The one tucked neatly under the desk where her and Charles would be forced to occupy the other side. The one that allowed for her to spin around and lounge back as she watched the stars twinkle in the distance, perhaps see a bird or two fly past as they sought for somewhere to rest.

Her fingers drummed uncomfortably on the arm rest, and her forced smile began to falter at the edges. Silence was something the demon's of hell could grow use to no matter where they ended up as screams of terror and pain were a regular sight in the fiery plain. It reminded Envy of the fact the heart she gained that had forced her out of the gates and onto earth wasn't strong enough to hide the natural instinct her physiology was made up on. It could distract from the fact she was meant to torment others, she was meant to hurt others.

Her hand clenched into a fist and she took a large gulp of her tea. Absentmindedly, Envy ran her tongue over her sharp teeth in thought of the world below. Of home...

Suddenly the mirror next to her rippled, and out came Edwin.

Envy flinched back, the wheels of the boy's office chair screeching dangerously across the timber floorboards as he came rolling across the desk and flopped onto the ground with a huff.

Envy blinked at the sudden appearance before yelping as Charles showed up second. Gasping, he grasped the edge of the desk, glancing over the headquarters to confirm that this time, they had succeeded in getting home.

"Envy! Out of my chair this instant with that-!"

Envy had began to raise her head in defence when a third body suddenly breached the mirror. Lunging forward, the World War One soldier grasped Charles by the neck, shoving the boy forcefully across the desk, sending papers flying in all sorts of direction.

"Uh, wanna give me the rundown?" Envy offered, finally finding her voice as she safely placed her peppermint tea on the window seal. She glanced helplessly at Edwin as Charles choked hopelessly beneath the ghost's grasp.