Chapter 5

Anupama

The dress clung to my curves, the red fabric cascading down to my calves, perfectly securing my bust and creating delicate ripples along the sleeves that fell effortlessly. Twirling, I saw myself as if in a fairytale, mirroring the bustling kitchen alive with staff preparing for the evening's service.

Repeatedly, I glanced through the windows at the crowd gathering and the cameras flashing outside, all in anticipation of the grand opening of the winner's new restaurant, with its offerings displayed on screens. The menu, bound in leather with gold trim and laminated pages inscribed in ink, exuded the luxury that one should feel while dining here.

Each dish promised a homely warmth enveloping the heart or the luxury of fine dining without extravagance. The grand chandelier oscillated gently in the breeze wafting through the Victorian windows, contributing to the charm of this venerable venue. I sought an ambiance that whispered both antiquity and modernity. The marble tables, worth a small fortune, were anchored firmly within, alongside candles flickering in anticipation of romantic whispers, and the intricate designs on the walls that Kai had crafted.

The kitchen boasted top-tier equipment and black marble tiles that complemented the beige tones of the interior. Outside, rose vines trailed down the façade, framing the name displayed on a vintage signboard, a nod to the Italian heritage that Naomi had woven into her culinary artistry.

The spices were intricately woven into each bite they savored, accompanied by the gentle strains of a Bollywood violin, soothing the heart. The table was adorned with gold cutlery reminiscent of India, and even the clay pots were perfectly decorated. The menu offered a vast fusion of our cultures, blending the old with the new.

Clicking my heels against the tiles, I noticed a sudden warmth in my cheeks. I adored the dimples that appeared, bright red from nerves. Nerves, that ugly monster, could stain cotton, but fortunately, it was silk. I closed my eyes, letting the song mingle with the chatter outside as we awaited the ceremonial ribbon cutting.

Feeling soft arms encircle me, I opened my eyes and gently caressed Devika's hand.''Aaraam karo, anu yeh aapke chamkane ka kshan hai.Kisi aur ka nahin hum sabhi aap par bharosa karte hain isle ek baar ke liye apne aap par aur hum par bharosa karein ki hum yahan rahen,'' she whispered, her voice a balm as her head nestled in the crook of my neck.

I glanced at Kai, whose hands moved swiftly, preparing for the evening with a smile full of hope and anticipation. Naomi was diligently ensuring a particular table near the VIP section was reserved for the 'KING' himself. Her delusion was evident in her childlike, carefree grin. "He won't come," I muttered, annoyed, half-wishing misfortune upon him during his journey here. He had been a thorn in my side, and for the past two days, I had monitored his every move like a stalker.

He was a tempest of intelligent power, with eyes that held malicious intent and a slight charm for games, beguiling those he could not possess. He was capable of winning over anyone he desired. An enigma, he was, to those with hearts as cold and lifeless as the world around them.

Jonathan King was a man with a plan, and if things didn't go his way, that would be the end of it. He was anything but merciful. Naomi groaned, her lips forming a pout of disappointment, "Why can't you let the attractive man come?" she whined loudly, eliciting giggles from the others. His presence was more aggravating than his nondescript grey eyes. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, "He's not coming," I stated firmly, hoping to quash any expectations of him.

Kai clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes, "You don't understand men," he teased. I scoffed, feeling a sting as if my failed marriages were a testament to my judgment, akin to having my ears pressed against his wall. He rises every morning at 5 am and departs by 7 am. I wish I could attribute it to his ego, but he was always punctual for the things that mattered.