Nine

In the early morning light, her trepidations of yesterday dissolved like a dream. Jahan didn't know if it was because of the thundering clouds or the fast-approaching evening that had made her fearful. Breathing in the fresh morning air, she felt a sense of empowerment surge within her. After all, how difficult could it be to confront Reshma?

Reshma was sitting on the porch with a mug in her hands. She too seemed to be enjoying the early morning. When she saw Jahan approach, she smiled and gestured for her to come forward. That was when Jahan noticed the second mug sitting on a stool by the porch chairs.

Wordlessly, Reshma handed her the second mug and Jahan noticed the tea was still hot. Before she could even ask, Reshma said, "I had a feeling you might return."

"Thank you." Jahan didn't know what else to say as she joined Reshma. She couldn't get over the uncanniness of it. Reshma not only knew Jahan would return but also knew Maalik wouldn't. Hence only one extra mug of the hot, soothing brew.

"Yesterday, you two ran away like children," her tone held amusement, "but I was worried, so I sent Rustam to find you. He informed me you were safe and warm."

"Is he still here?" Jahan said.

"No, he left a while ago. Why does it scare you to be alone with me?"

Embarrassed, Jahan couldn't meet her eyes and shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry about our behavior. I really didn't know who you were or why Maalik was so afraid."

"It's alright. I'm used to it. He isn't the only one who fears me. For whatever reason, people are easily scared of what they consider out of the norm. In these parts, I'm an anomaly. But I'm sure you didn't come here to listen to my woes. So, tell me. How may I help you?"

"I'm Meena's friend," Jahan said. She took a sip of tea and savored its warmth. "I was hoping to know your connection to her."

"Ah," Reshma was thoughtful, "Hmm, Meena? That's the girl who was murdered a few days ago."

When Jahan nodded in affirmation, Reshma said, "Why do you think there's a connection between us?" She looked genuinely bewildered.

"The day she was killed, she told me she was meeting someone in a neighboring village. And her parents told Maalik that the person was you. We thought you might shed some light on the incident."

"Sorry to disappoint you but I never met with her. And if she wanted to see me, I don't know why. I only heard about her murder from Mahdi."

Jahan was disappointed to hear her answer but wasn't ready to give up. If the clues pointed in her direction, the woman must know something even if she didn't understand what. As a teacher, she always told her students that the right questions were the key to getting the right answers. If she wanted to uncover the truth, she needed to ask accordingly. As a rule of thumb, it was good to start from the beginning.

"If you don't mind," she said to Reshma, "may I ask what you do?"

"I'm a botanist."

Jahan stared at the older woman not believing what she heard. Her incredulous gasp made Reshma burst into laughter.

"What?" she said, trying to control her mirth. "Did you think I was a fortuneteller?"

"Aren't you?"

Jahan's questions sobered her. "Yes, you can call me that if you believe in that kind of thing. But officially, I'm a botanist living in the forest to study plants. I have published numerous papers in my field. And I love being close to nature. Plants, unlike humans, are not complicated. And they don't lie or cheat."