THE KNIVES OF FRIENDS

🅣🅘🅚🅘

🅣🅘🅚🅘

As I stepped out of the fish factory, the first rays of the sun were beginning to illuminate the horizon. Exhausted to the bone after a grueling shift of descaling and filleting fish, my body throbbed with aches in places I never knew existed. The nauseating feeling that accompanied the 12-hour ordeal lingered, and I needed a refreshing shower. The Manager hired me straight away as soon as I mentioned Vince Cross, and I was grateful.

This particular company, a global corporation, had an interesting agreement with the state to provide employment opportunities for parolees. Knowing this, I realized that Jax, despite his influence, would find it difficult to get me fired. However, he could still exert his dominance by threatening the manager if he intended to sabotage me. To secure my position, I resolved to keep myself isolated. I limited my conversations to the guy beside me on the conveyor belt, Blake, who patiently guided me through the tasks at hand. He was a nice guy who didn't ask questions, but he seemed to be eyeing me now and then as if he was wondering what I had been in prison for. Apart from that, my strategy was to stay low-key, avoiding any unnecessary attention that could potentially invite trouble from SAMCRO.

As I walked along the street towards the bus stop I pulled my oversized shitty donated coat around my cold bones, Even in the warmth of the early morning California sun I felt the cold in my bones and the joints in my fingers ached, I knew that I wouldn't always feel this bad after a shift in the factory, I just needed to get used to being locked in cold storage gutting cold fish for a living. I was brought out of my thoughts by a male voice calling out to me. I turned my head to the red truck that had slowed alongside me.

"Hey, Need a ride?" Blake, the guy who had been training me shouted.

"Nah," I said as I looked at the ground and picked up my pace, this was not what I wanted. I wasn't here to get to know people or make friends.

"Come on, you look cold." Blake continued unfazed.

"I said No!" I hadn't intended to be so rude, but I wanted nothing more than for him to forget I existed and move on with his day, so instead of apologizing to the only person who has spoken to me out of choice for a very long time, I walked faster and ignored him. I only looked up from the ground as I heard the roar of his truck engine take off down the road, I sighed in relive that he had gotten the message and driven away.

For the rest of my journey back to the halfway house I daydreamed, I ran memories of Jax and Abel through my head, Daydreaming about my happier times seemed to be the only thing that kept me sane. As I got off the bus I was relieved that I could feel my fingers again and that the sun from sitting by the window on the bus had warmed me up, I rounded the corner to the building of the halfway house, I tiredly glanced around at my surroundings Out of habit, my attention landing on an old truck that looked familiar, I stared at it as I walked to the entrance of the building trying to remember where I knew it from and then the familiar face of Chief Unser caught my eye. I wasn't sure if he was waiting for me or spying on me. I have known the old Police Chief since I could remember, the old man had arrested me once for being drunk and disorderly after Jax and I got drunk with Donner and Opie near the streams and decided to skinny dip. He normally clipped our ears and sent us home but Gemma had convinced him to teach us a lesson after we spent the summer running a muck around Charming, Unser had always been in SAMCRO's pocket, So I guess he was here for them rather than me.