Chapter 29: And They Break

He dreamt of the witch. He could picture how she looked in the kitchen, sweet, flushed, and hazy. The way she trembled and pressed closer to his body. He dreamt of her breathy, little sigh.

It was hard to pull away from her but the thrill of the chase, the anticipation, and the build-up, made it worth it. He would have the witch. Their joining was inevitable. He resisted as long as he could, but it was useless.

The witch was his, and he was hers but it didn't mean he was going to make it easy.

—-------------------------------------------------------

The witch was fluttering around the kitchen. She wore a long shirt that fell around her hips. She was wearing the stretchy, little black shorts that he had come to appreciate. They left most of her legs bare. Her hair was pulled back and she looked a beautiful mess, as she always did.

She twirled around to greet him, a wide smile on her face. It was hard to accept that she was so genuinely happy to see him.

He expected a hug. He knew the witch contained her self around him. She was always careful to respect his physical boundaries, it was why he needed to be the one to cross the bridge between them. Now that he's touched her, he hoped she felt free to touch him.

He didn't expect to stand on her tiptoes, her hands on his shoulders for balance, and to kiss him on the cheek.

She stepped away with a cheeky little grin. "Good morning, little bird."

His grin was much more predatory. "Good morning, little witch. "

The game was on.

—-------------------------------------------------------

Gael noticed the change in energy between him and the witch. He was a perspective little one. He was very keen on others emotions. Wren suspected that from a young age, Gael needed to identify and predict his father's moods. It helped him to protect himself and Jace.

After a couple of days of longing glances and trailing fingertips, Gael cornered him in the hallway.

"What are you doin' with Ma." His voice was more stern than an 11-year-old's should be.

The boys had yet to slip up and call the witch mother, or 'ma' to her face but they frequently referred to her as such amongst themselves and to Wren.

"I'm not doing anything."

Gael tried to glare at him but it looked more like a pout. "You guys are doing somethin'."

He fidgeted a little. "You're acting like parents."

Wren brushed him with a wing. "We've been your parents for a while now."

"Duh." He said, exasperated. "You were separate parents. Now you're acting like together parents."

Wren failed to see his logic. Gael huffed and put his hands on his hips

"You guys are acting like a mom and dad."

Wren nodded. Gael chewed on his lips.

"My mom and dad loved each other. Then they didn't and it was yellin' and screaming. And our family wasn't a family anymore. "

Wren clicked sadly in his throat and pulled the boy in for a hug.

"We are not like your old parents. We will continue to love you and care for you, even if we no longer care for each other. Me and the witch's problems are not your problems."