13. DRUNKEN HAZE

ELLIE

When we returned to our suite, it was around midnight. We had stopped on our way at a pub to have some beer. Well, I drank a few while Mr. Byers went all out. He finished the night strong with few shots of tequila and now, I had to be the one dragging his inebriated self back to the suite.

He was stopping around on his way, passing remarks at every strangers, making me embarassed to be seen with him. Boy, was he a lightweight. With someone of his stature, I would expect at least a little strength to hold liquor.

"That wasn't in my job description." I said, throwing him on the couch and taking few deep exhales to catch my breath.

"I'll add in a few clauses tomorrow." He smirked, earning an eye roll from me. Even when drunk, he was still the same.

Shaking my head, I went to his room and brought out a comforter for him. He had already made himself at ease on the couch and I had no intention of dragging him to his room. He may look slim but he was a huge block of muscles and I wasn't strong enough to carry all that granite.

"Do you need anything?" I asked.

"It's hot." He said, trying to take off his shirt but failing.

"The AC is on." I replied.

He didn't bother to listen to me and continued playing with his buttons and clearly failing. He was dwindling on the couch, unable to view the buttons properly.

"Help me, Anderson." He said as he struggled.

Sighing, I sat down on the couch beside him and unbuttoned his shirt. His bronze skin peaked from underneath, warming up my cheeks in response. Although my hands shook a little, I kept my focus strictly on the buttons and nowhere else.

Ignoring my flustered state, I took off his shirt, revealing his taut, muscular body. He was quite close to me and his body was radiating so much warmth. Suddenly, the temperature in the room started to rise despite the freezing cold AC.

"Thanks, Ellie." He said and I liked how my name rolled off his tongue.

"It's okay. I'll go now." I said but I was caught off guard by Mr. Byers when he stopped me by holding my wrist gently.

I looked at him nervously, his eyes thick with a drunken stupor but there was something else as well, something deep and dark. He rubbed his thumb over the skin of my wrist and although seemingly innocent, this small action made my heartbeat quicken.

"You know what," He whispered as he raised his hand to my face and tucked a free dark lock behind my ear.

"What is it?" I asked, trying to sound firm but failing badly. "I'm sleepy Mr. Byers. Let me go."

He stared into my eyes and despite all my efforts, I could not look away. There was something about his green orbs that held me captive. I noticed the flecks of orange in the inner corner of his iris and also, the way his pupils dilated as he gazed at me. "You are beautiful." His voice was barely above a whisper.

This was probably the first time he had praised me for something. Him calling me beautiful was the last thing I expected. I wasn't one to dwell on superficial things like beauty but somehow, it made me blush.

He trailed his finger down my cheek gently and I closed my eyes due to the sensory overload. At a moment like this, I forgot what a dick he had been to me ever since I started working here. I just knew I was enjoying whatever he was doing to me currently.

He withdrew his hand for a moment and I clenched my fists in anticipation. Maybe he was going to kiss me. But the point is, why would I let him kiss me? The rumours I had heard about his lifestyle should be enough to warn me but apparently, they weren't. Alcohol really makes you take bad decisions.

I waited a few seconds but nothing happened. At the end, I opened my eyes in confusion and found him lying on his back, his eyes closed, his mouth half opened and his nostrils flaring.

"Ugh." I groaned, slapping my forehead to shake some sense into it.

I stood up, covered Mr. Byers with the comforter and placed his hanging arm back on his chest. Afterwards, I went to my room and lay down to sleep. It wasn't easy considering my mind chose to replay what happened outside again and again, making my belly tingle. It took me around an hour to finally clear my head and be able to go to sleep.

*****

When I woke up next morning, I expected Mr. Byers to be in serious hangover but instead, I found him fully dressed in a dark blue suit, his hair slicked back with gel and his sharp jaw freshly shaven. He was having his morning coffee while working on his laptop. If I were in his place, I would be screaming due to a headache after drinking as much alcohol as he did.

"Why do you look like a homeless hobo? We have to leave in half an hour." He commented as soon as he saw me.

And to think this man called me beautiful last night. Maybe it was just my imagination. After all, I had some alcohol in my system too.

"I'll be ready." I said and rushed back to the bathroom. I hurriedly took a brief shower and then changed into a white shirt with lavender color blazer and pencil skirt. I tied my hair in a sleek ponytail and then made my way outside.

When we reached the conference, we were given special seats on the speakers' side. When it was Mr. Byers' turn, I wished him best of luck, not that he needed any. He was confident and eloquent and perfectly knew how to capture everyone's attention. As he spoke, he exuded a commanding aura, as if only listening to him was enough to know he was an important person. And as much as I hated to admit, it turned him even more attractive.

After his speech, I saw many eyes turned to him, particularly ladies. One of them went out of her way to get his number from me while I was serving lunch on my plate.

"I am sorry. I am not allowed to distribute his number." I said.

"It's okay. I won't tell him I got it from you." The clingy woman said.

"No means no." I said firmly.

"Please... I really like him girl." She requested.

"For God's sake woman, you hardly know him. Jeez, your type disgraces us." I grunted at her in annoyance and she retreated.

Mr. Byers, who seemed to be noticing all this, smirked at me. As if he needed any more inflation of his ego. Such women were the reason handsome men like him were so arrogant. I walked towards him and complained, "Dealing with your admirers wasn't in my job description."

"If they are beautiful, just send them my way." He said in an amusing tone, crossing his arms in front of his chest. I rolled my eyes at his response. Men!

"And if they are not beautiful?" I asked.

"Then note down their numbers. I'll hire them as my secretary in future." He said and my jaw dropped at this. I glared at him with angry eyes and he just shrugged in response.

"Careful Mr. Byers, your drunk self might not agree with you." I countered.

"What?" He asked in confusion.

"Nothing." I passed him a fake smile. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to deal with few more ladies thanks to you."

"Sure." He said. "Just a reminder, I don't like brunettes. Don't bother sending them my way."

"Dick." I whispered to myself as I controlled myself from showing him my middle finger.

After the conference, we temporarily went to the hotel, gathered our belongings and then made our way to the hotel. I tried to keep our interactions to the minimum as there was no truth in denying he wasn't attractive and behind attracted to my boss was the last thing I needed right now.

He also chose to not indulge with me anymore and it made me doubt that he had remembered about last night and that's why he acting weird now.

Well, who cares?

******