12. Unwanted Company

Henryka and Zofia are supposed to be my ladies-in-waiting. It is an arrangement that pleases none of us. For me, it is an insult. Zofia is only twelve. Her company annoys me, and she is of service in no more than the most menial of tasks, for which I would rather ask a servant. Henryka, at fifteen, is not entirely too young for the position, but she and I do not like each other. Besides, I know all too well that they have only been chosen because the other women of the court refused to take the role and Henryka and Zofia are unable to refuse their mother's request.

Being alone would have been preferable, if boring. Being with Mariusz would have been best. He continues to sleep in our honeymoon bed at night, leaving me the chaise, and we breakfast and dine together each day, but outside those moments, he is never to be found. Sometimes I send Zofia in search of him, but there are many hiding places in the palace and grounds, and she always returns unsuccessful. I suspect that sometimes Zofia lies to me, and says she does not know where he is when she does.

A spate of wet, stormy weather improves my chances. I make Henryka and Zofia take me about the palace, pretending I am interested in the portraits or the histories of the rooms. Really, I am looking for Mariusz. Passing through a gallery, I hear raucous laughter and chase the sound, despite Henryka's protests. It leads to a small parlour in which Mariusz is playing billiards with his fat friend, who I now know is Count Barany, and the man who brought the goat to our wedding, Lord Valery, while a handsome blonde woman, Countess Celina, watches from a sofa drinking wine.

When I enter, she says something in Selician, making Mariusz laugh and miss his shot. Henryka and Zofia exchange shy greetings with the others.

"Would you like to watch?" Henryka asks me in French.

"Can I play?"

Countess Celina says something in Selician, addressed at me, I think. I frown at her. "I beg your pardon?"

She repeats it, making all the men laugh.

"What are you saying?" I ask. "Do you not speak French?"

Her answer is not in the language. I look to Henryka, who blushes. "She says she does not wish to speak French."

"You can't play," Mariusz says in my language. "We are in tournament. Be quiet, and you can watch."

Celina says something to him in Selician, and he rolls his eyes at her. He returns his attention to the billiard table. Celina smirks at me from her sofa. It is the only seat in the room close enough to watch the game, and she lounges on it, her skirts spilling over the cushions. I do not wish to drag other furniture closer.

"Please give me room," I say in French. I know she will ignore it, know too that she understands it, and when she remains where she is I sit down upon her skirts as if they are part of the furniture.

The smirk on her face becomes a frown. She tugs her skirts from under me and sits straighter.

"Fetch yourself some chairs," I say to Henryka and Zofia. "We are going to watch the tournament."

The two girls go to get chairs. Celina pours herself another glass of wine and casts a sidelong glance at me. A contemptuous smile spreads across her face. She says something in Selician.

"I don't understand," I say in my own language.

She sips her wine, still smiling.

No wonder she and Mariusz are friends. They have the same sense of cruel humour, to say things that hurt people for amusement. At the very least, Mariusz is not laughing now. He is watching Count Barany line up his shot, his eyes narrow. Only Lord Valery is smirking at Celina.