2 - the fields

The summer air clung to my skin like a warm embrace as I made my way through the familiar streets of my dad's town. 

Each step carried with it a sense of freedom, a release from the constraints of city life. I had spent so many summers here as a child, but this year felt different. This year, I was sixteen, and everything seemed tinged with the promise of adventure.

Even though people like my friend, Mariana, were in better places for summer vacay, I think I had to make the most of this place.

As I walked, the sun beat down on the pavement, casting long shadows across the sleepy suburban landscape. I could feel the heat radiating from the ground, warming my bare arms and legs. Despite the temperature, I couldn't help but feel a shiver of excitement run down my spine. I was ready for anything this summer had to offer.

My destination loomed ahead, a vast expanse of golden sunflowers swaying gently in the breeze. The field stretched out before me, a sea of vibrant yellow petals reaching towards the sky. It was a sight that never failed to take my breath away, even after all these years.

 despite my distaste for this place, it was sure a pleasant sight to behold.

With a grin, I picked up my pace, eager to lose myself in the beauty of the sunflowers. I ducked under the wooden fence that surrounded the field and stepped onto the soft earth below. The ground was warm beneath my feet, and the air was filled with the sweet scent of flowers and earth.

I wandered deeper into the field, my fingers brushing against the soft petals as I passed. The sun beat down overhead, casting a warm glow over everything it touched. I closed my eyes and tilted my face towards the sky, letting the golden rays wash over me like a wave.

Lost in the moment, I didn't notice the figure approaching until it was too late. With a startled yelp, I collided with someone, sending us both tumbling to the ground in a heap of limbs and laughter.

"Whoa, watch where you're going there," a voice chuckled above me.

I blinked up at the boy sprawled beside me, my heart racing in my chest. He was tall and lean, with tousled brown hair and a mischievous glint in his deep blue eyes. There was something undeniably charming about him, something that made my pulse quicken in spite of myself. Whoops.

"Sorry," I mumbled, scrambling to my feet and brushing the dirt from my clothes. "I wasn't paying attention."

The boy grinned up at me, unfazed by our collision. "No harm done. Name's Austin, by the way."

"Rosabelle," I replied, offering him a hand to help him up.

He took it with a grin, his grip firm and warm. "Nice to meet you, Rosabelle. What brings you to the sunflower field today?"

I shrugged, a smile playing at the corners of my lips. "Just needed to get out of the house, I guess. It's my first summer back in town, and I forgot how much I missed this place." I said the last part with sarcasm, but he didn't seem to notice. His lovely blue eyes mesmerized me.

Austin nodded in understanding, his eyes scanning the field around us. "Yeah, I know what you mean. There's something special about this place, isn't there? It's like a little slice of paradise in the middle of suburbia."

I laughed, the sound echoing across the field like music. "Exactly! I used to spend hours out here as a kid, just running through the flowers and pretending I was in a fairy tale."

"Sounds like fun," Austin replied, a hint of wistfulness in his voice. "I wish I had grown up in a place like this."

I studied him for a moment, noting the way his gaze lingered on the sunflowers swaying in the breeze. There was a vulnerability to him, a loneliness that lurked beneath his easy smile. It made me wonder what secrets he was hiding behind those sparkling blue eyes.

"Well, you're here now," I said softly, breaking the silence that had fallen between us. "And who knows? Maybe this summer will turn out to be your own personal fairy tale."

Austin met my gaze, his expression unreadable. For a moment, it felt like time stood still, like we were the only two people in the world. Then, with a shake of his head, he smiled and pushed himself to his feet.

"Maybe," he said, offering me a hand up. "But for now, I should probably get going. It was nice meeting you, Rosabelle. Maybe I'll see you around."

I took his hand and let him pull me to my feet, a pang of disappointment echoing through me. "Yeah, maybe," I replied, forcing a smile onto my lips.

With a wave, Austin turned and disappeared into the sea of sunflowers, leaving me standing alone in the golden light. I watched him go, a strange mixture of emotions swirling inside me. Part of me wanted to run after him, to beg him to stay and keep me company. But another part knew that some things were better left unsaid, that some connections were meant to be fleeting.

With a sigh, I turned and made my way back towards the fence, the sunflowers whispering their secrets in the breeze. As I stepped out of the field and onto the pavement, I couldn't shake the feeling that something had shifted, that the summer ahead held more surprises than I could ever imagine.

I didn't know what was up with me. Rosabelle, are you okay? Clearly I have been reading too many fairy tales, and I needed to get caught up on reality.

But for now, I would savor the warmth of the sun on my skin and the promise of endless possibilities stretching out before me. Because in the end, that's what summer was all about: embracing the unknown and letting it lead you wherever it may go.