CHAPTER XXVI

When Thierry found out what Cael did, he was surprised. That was a drastic decision, that changed his whole life. Still, he did it to help them.

"Sometimes people are more than we believe them to be". Dev said, after they heard the news.

The whole process ended because of that, and one of his headaches disappeared. And a part of him didn't believe it. Nevertheless, Dev walked him through his need to trust people and understand that not everything was like the book. The book. Thi thought. Not everything was like the book. He had faced that idea many times before, but he never really believed things could have changed that much. But it did. What do I really know now? Thi questioned himself. Seeing his troubled boyfriend lost in thought, Dev inquired what he was thinking.

"That maybe most of my knowledge is now moot. I always thought that I knew somehow how the future would go, or at least how people would act. But I've finally come to realize that things have changed so much that I can't expect the most fundamental things to stay the same. So what am I still doing? Tracing the steps of a story that no longer exists? Treating people in a way based only on what I believe it's true?".

Dev hugged him with his strong arms enveloping Thierry. They stayed like that for a while, until Thi asked.

"Aren't you going to say something?"

"What? That I'm happy you came to this conclusion by yourself? That it's great to see you growing?"

Thi pouted, even though he knew Dev was right. He was always cuddling and soothing him, but when the moment called he was the first to tell the truth, even if it was harsh.

"Now, what I can ask you is what you're going to do with this new resolution". Dev questioned.

"I don't know. I don't like the idea of being in the dark, and I will have to learn to trust people more".

"That's a good start".

"And stop relying on the book to judge character or to know what is going to happen".

"Yes".

"And build a better network to gather information, so that I don't feel so blind in the future".

"Ok, that's something else, but still okay".

"I don't know... I'm just anxious".

"We all have to live without knowing anything about the future. What were you going to do when the information from the book ended?"

"I... I think I would just keep living".

"And that's what you have to do. Keep living. Accept that you're not in control of reality and things are not what they seem. People are much more than you expect of them, be it for the bad or the good". Dev hugged him tighter.

"But what will I do about the Delaney family? If my knowledge is wrong, what if I can't achieve what I seek? What will happen then?"

"Ask for help. You have proof that there are people who want to help you, so why don't you ask?"

Thierry went silent.

"You want me to ask him for help?"

"Don't you trust him?"

"Y-yes", he stuttered, uncertain.

"You do or you don't?"

"I guess... I do. But would he help me destroy his own family?"

"For what you said, he was one of the people they hurted the most. So... Maybe. But you can ask him. Tell him the truth of what you're trying to do".

Thierry thought about it for a while, as he showered and ate breakfast; as he read some reports from work; as he talked with some investors over the phone. He decided to trust him. That part was true. But what did that trust mean to him? He thought about it over and over. He made a decision without thinking and got the cellphone to call Nate. Only later, he telled Dev what he resolved.