Chapter Two

As i sat in the pew of the kingdom hall, my eyes glazed over as the elder's voice drowned on about the latest issue about the watchtower.

Around me the other witnesses sat in quiet contemplation, their faces fixed with solemn reverence.

The only sound that broke the monotony was the occasional rustle of pages turning, a whispered "amen" from a devout member bringing me back to the present or Delia occasionally rubbing her black pair of flat shoes together aggressively in her sky blue balloon gown.

Clare who was at Delia's other side also glimpsed at Delia as she did occasionally but we ignored her uneasiness.

Alfred was sitting by my right side, he touched my hand gently "hey" he whispered "did you catch that part about the sheep and the goat?" He asked taking out his pocket notepad and pen he carried around.

I blinked trying to remember the last thing i heard from the podium.
"I erh.. thought we were talking about end times?" I asked.

My parents at Alfred's end heard me and gave me a quick glance. So did Delia.

"It's well" Alfred muttered writing a few things down. I was obviously not paying attention.

At that i forced myself to listen, apparently the sermon today was about the Shepard and sheep.

In a split of a second my mind was out again. I have always been a bit of a deep thinker so it wasn't new to my family when ever i leave the physical world and get lost in my imagination, but lately a feel of resignation overwhelmed me, but i couldn't with the expectations around me.

At any time the church could say i was ready to evangelize on my own.

Then a sense of relief ran through my spin as the congregation sang a hymn, i knew my quiet rebellion wouldn't last forever. It was during the closing prayers that i understood what was wrong with me. I was the black sheep of my family.

As the congregation stood to leave i felt a sense of unease settle inside of me.

I was happy we closed, couldn't wait to go home but my peace and the security of my faith was shaken.

Clare was holding Delia by the hand while Chloe held Dylan's. I tried to avoid eye contact with Arthur while my parents greeted a few of the congregation, I knew he could see the rebellion in me i tried to hide.

Dad soon retreated from greeting to meet us "Kids" he said "the elders would like to see us before we leave" My heart raced. The elders...

"Is everything okay, dad?" I asked. My siblings exchanged glances. It was a formality for the elders to want to see us but usually it was because of something.

I couldn't help but think that they wanted me to start my own evangelical journey.

Surely it was expected that Arthur and Alfred would have to be assigned first before me but i couldn't help the uneasiness that swelled inside of me.

Dad's hesitation to reply showed something was off.

"Everything is fine" he smiled, we saw it was fake. Mum came to stand by Dad's side locking fingers with him.

"They're waiting" she said, her voice calm.
"Us all?" Chloe asked.
"Yes" mum replied. It was odd. Normally, the elders only called for either our parents or with Arthur, Alfred and i.

Arthur had a grin to the younger siblings "I'm guessing so.. so- me people are ge..ge-tting promoted" he stammered to them.

Clare, Chloe, Dylan and Delia whom stood hand in hand in a six years old height differences held a look of uncertainty.

"But, I don't know how to preach yet" Dylan said.
"We haven't met them yet, lets go first" Dad said.

Then we all walked in silence through the hall way, i kept my eyes down not wanting to meet the gaze of any other witnesses.

We approached the elders' office, it was closed but we could hear the low murmur of voices from within.
Dad knocked.

"Remember to stay calm and respectful" mum whispered to us.
Then there was a click, the door swung open. Elder Thompson stood holding the door inviting us in. We came in.

The eldest elder, Elder Jones and a man we didn't recognize sat behind the large, imposing desks, their expressions grave and unreadable.

"Brother Eric, it's good to see you" Elder Jones began.
"Thank you Elder Jones" Dad replied.

The room was fairly large enough for twelve of us. Elder Thomson soon joined them behind the large desk.

"This is Elder James" Elder Jones introduced the man whom looked at us with scrutiny. 

Our parents greeted him, so did we. He nodded stiffly, his body language guarded. I couldn't deny the stern look on his face made me unease.

"I'm sure your parents haven't told you the news yet" Elder Jones said to us.

Puzzled that there was a news our parent's didn't tell us, we remained silent.

"Well kids" elder Jones said tucking his fingers together on the desk. "haven discussed with your parents and instructions from Jehovah we've agreed that it's best you're family moves to a new city as soon as possible"

My siblings and i exchanged stunned glances, our eyes wide in disbelief. Our parents stood in silence, they didn't say anything.

"Wha- what do you mean we're moving?" Arthur stammered. "We... We've never talked A... Ab-out this before and wh.. Why are we moving?" he tried to be polite as he could be.
My siblings and i nodded in agreement.

Elder Jones cleared his throat "We're sorry for not informing you earlier, your parents knew you would be against it so they thought it's best you heard it from us" then he exchanged glances with the other elders. "Well erh... Elder James here is from Warwick, and erh.. he's here because he had a revelation about your family. A revelation he says we need to quickly act on"

🌹