Chapter 24

Chaos ensued.

Haley took a step back, spun and ran away. Jun made a move forward, his magic a wild beast tugging against the chains of silver. Hayden slammed him against the van, rattling the black vehicle.

Everyone looked as surprised as I felt. Jun's loud curses as they led him away to prison made it clear he was as thrilled about this as Haley.

I couldn't believe it. My heart bled for her. If anyone deserved a good mate, it was Haley. She was the joy of our group, the person who always comforted, the one who found threads of hope in every mess we landed in.

After getting over our shock. We made sure the prisoners were secure and contacted Hale and our parents to brief them on the situation. Haley had disappeared and refused any of our links. But Sam went after her. He would find her. The two of them were very close, but I bet even Sam wouldn't be able to cheer her up.

"This is so unfair," I mumbled past the knot in my throat.

We were back in our house. Ezra and I sat in our kitchen, wishing the past few hours were just a dream.

We might have found a strong lead to the Moon Hunters, but the fact that one of them was Haley's mate cast a heavy shadow on this small victory.

Outside, the sun had disappeared behind a layer of gloomy gray. What little light slithered in through the glass doors cast a depressing film over the house.

Sitting on a stool beside me, Ezra kissed my temple. "We'll figure it out, sweetheart. We'll figure it out."

"How? He's one of them, Ezra," I said, furiously wiping the tears spilling down my cheeks.

My heart cracked every time I remembered the broken look in Haley's eyes. It did not belong there. Haley's beautiful eyes were made for sparks of laughter and twinkling mischief, not a heartbreak the likes of which one could never recover from. She'd lost her mate before even meeting him.

I pushed the heels of my palms against my eyes, but that didn't stop the stupid tears.

Ezra held my shoulders and turned me to him. "Orla, look at me."

When I didn't, Ezra physically pried my hands away and gripped my face. His features blurred. I blinked, and his face came into focus, jaw set and eyes obsidian sparks of determination.

"We're going to figure it out." Conviction punctuated every single word. "Maybe he's not as involved as we think. In that case, we'll convince him to switch sides. He's her mate. He can't resist her forever."

"What if he is?" I asked in a whisper. "What if he's in deep?"

"Then we'll just have to drag him to our side, kicking and screaming," Ezra grinned. "If anyone could drag a person from the darkness to the light, it's Haley. She's just shocked right now, which is understandable. But she's more bull-headed than you think, and she's not going to let him destroy her chance at happiness."

His words eased some of the weight off my chest, and I could breathe easier. He was right. Haley was stubborn and smart. She would find a way to have her mate by her side no matter what it took.

And crying would solve nothing. Pursing my lips, I blinked back the tears and nodded. "Okay."

"That's my girl." Ezra kissed me, and the taste of him settled down the turmoil inside of me.

"Did Sam-"

"He found her. He's with her right now. He'll let us know when she's ready to talk."

I breathed out a sigh of relief. At least she wasn't alone. Sniffing, I slapped my cheeks. "Okay."