13 - Stress Reliever

Eden's POV

Sighing, I put my backpack down near my coffee table in my living room and flop onto my couch, closing my eyes immediately. The exhaustion has hit me hard. Training, classes, and the stress and worry from whatever is happening relating to my magic.... It's been a bit too much on my physical body and I am feeling it in every aspect.

My phone pings and I groan, reaching down into my bag and grabbing the stupid thing.

I peer at it and see that I've got a text from Dante, which make me feel guilty a little for how upset I was at the interruption. He's been such a rock through everything, but he isn't experiencing things as I have, so I've felt a little distant from him lately. Maybe I've been pushing him away a little too, but I'm just so overwhelmed with it all.

I open the text.

Knock. Knock.

I go to my door and open it and see a small envelope on the floor with a small black box sitting on top. I reach down and pick it up and look down the hallway to see if I can spot Dante, but he's either hiding well or he's wanting me to open this in private.

I retreat into my apartment, closing the door with a small click and sit back down on my couch, running my fingers over the box, my nerves shooting to the surface.

A present?

Placing the box down on my table gently, I open the envelope first and read the letter, written in Dante's handwriting.

My dear Eden, my Tesoro.

I know things have been rough lately, and we haven't been able to spend much time together, so I thought I would plan for us to go away for a few days, Just ourselves to get some much-needed time away from all the stresses happening currently. We've hardly had a moment to really connect aside from training and our little meetings here and there. I want more time.

Meet me in my office at 7pm tonight.

Please wear your gift.

Dante

I glance at my phone. 4:30pm. He even gave me time to get ready, even though I have no idea what we're doing. Which in all seriousness adds to the suspense. I can't help but feel giddy, knowing we're finally going to get some time away and can really connect. I pick up the box again and open it, placing my hand over my mouth as I glance at the necklace. It's a small black velvet choker with a black heart pendant. I take it out of the box and examine it, turning the pendant around and noticing a cursive "D" engraved in the back of the crystal. I place it back in the box with a smile and go shower and get ready.

I'm walking down the hall to Dante's office, in some high waisted black leggings and a deep burgundy lace crop top and black wedge boots, and I decided to bring my black petticoat in case I get cold. I left my hair down; did some light makeup with winged eyeliner and of course put on the choker he got me. I stand in front of the double doors, my heart racing in anticipation.

I knock lightly, and after a few seconds the doors open, revealing Dante in an all-black ensemble; dress pants and a fitted dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up slightly. His dark hair is pulled back into a low ponytail at the nape of his neck with some stray pieces falling out of place to frame his face.

He's breathtaking, and his gaze as he looks over me makes my heart skip a beat.

"Eden. You look wonderful."

"You're not bad yourself." I say quickly and the grin I get from him makes my knees weak.

I walk into his office behind him and go sit in his chair and watch as he closes the door to his office and locks it. My nerves ramp up, but I keep my voice even. "So, what's the plan for the next few days? Am I allowed to know?"