39. Heavy Heart

||Year - 1543 AD||

||Year - 1543 AD||

He had never seen a lady as fair as she. In his eyes, no immortal could compare to the beauty that was Adelaide Daley. She had hair like cornsilk, that hung down her back in unruly waves, ending just above her waist. Her eyes were as blue as the sea, and Wilkin could drown in them for eternity. Despite not having a heartbeat for over a decade now, he felt like his heart was soaring as she walked into the clearing in the middle of the woods- Their secret spot.

"Wilkin," she whispered his name, knowing that he would hear if he was anywhere close by.

Her sweet scent filled his nostrils, setting his lungs on fire before he jumped from the giant oak tree and landed directly in front of her.

"My love," he breathed out, taking her dainty, warm hand and placing a frozen kiss upon it.

They had been seeing each other nearly every night for three months now. Three months ago, the girl fell into a fast-moving river and lost her ground. Having never learned to swim, she was helpless against the current as it pulled her under. The young vampire had witnessed the ordeal. Granted, he was planning on killing the sweet-smelling girl, but the second he took note of her undeniable beauty, that plan had gone out the window. When he pulled her from the freezing water, the girl had gazed into his blood-red eyes and shown no fear.

Never once, had she shown fear towards the 'monster of a man', as he calls himself. In her eyes, he was anything but-He was her hero. Her savior. She never questioned him about the blood swirling in the depths of his irises. She knew he was otherworldly; supernatural, but she cared for him deeply. They had a bond that neither of them could explain.

Before any more words could be said, the golden-haired girl threw her arms around his neck and pressed her warm body against his. He ran a hand through her long hair and relished in her scent as it danced on his tongue.

"Did you miss me?" She asked, pulling back slightly to stare up at his porcelain face.

His dark hair contrasted against his pale skin in a majestic sort of way. "More than you can even fathom," he admitted with a forlorn smile.

His heart was heavy as he gazed down at the love of his existence-At the girl who gave him purpose. She was his life now. He gently cradled the side of her face, reveling in the warmth of her skin as it warmed his icy palm.

"Adelaide, I-" He was having difficulty speaking around the sudden lump in his throat. "I must ask you something."

She blinked rapidly before asking, "And what might that be?"

He dropped his hand before stepping away from her and looking at her with a sorrowful expression. "I.. must leave."

Her eyes widened, her heart skipping a beat. "What? Why? When?"