CHAPTER 55

THEO'S POV

CHAPTER 55 - TRAITOR

"Will you be home for dinner?"

I watched Lia skillfully knot my tie before responding to her question. "I'll do my best," was all I could say.

Andreas found another lead in the mafia family who was after Lia's life, so it all depends on the outcome of that. It might take hours, or possibly, even days again for me to come home. "But I'll keep you updated," I assured her.

I saw a smile formed her lips and nodded in understanding.

Ever since we got married, I have become accustomed to this routine, her tying my tie with such effortless grace as I stand still and watch her do it. Sometimes we even make small talks in between.

It almost felt like second nature to both of us.

I never really enjoyed wearing ties before, but seeing Lia happily and excitedly do it for me every day--well, whenever I'm around, has made it an essential part of my morning ritual.

Without realizing it, I find myself looking forward to this small act of closeness and connection that we share every morning. Also, joining her at dinner as much as I can has become pretty common lately.

Well, in my defense, I was the reason she was stuck in the Villa, so it was only fair that I make an effort, including keeping her company during meals whenever possible.

Yeah, that.

"All done." She announced with a smile. She stepped back and looked at me.

"Thank you," I said as I stared at her hazel brown eyes. I turned around, ready to leave, but I stopped and remembered something I mean to tell her. "Lia, you know you can always leave the Villa and hang out with your friends, right?"

I want her to know that our marriage doesn't mean she has to sacrifice her social life, too. Like what she did with her career. This was completely different.

"Yeah." She answered promptly.

"I know you're not used to it, having guards around you, but it's for your safety." I turned my head in her direction, just to see her reaction to my reminder.

Lia smiled genuinely at me as she said, "Thank you for always looking out for me, Theo. I really appreciate it." Her voice was warm and comforting, just like her presence.

I nodded and walked out of the room with a sense of relief, knowing Lia appreciated my efforts to keep her safe.

Surprisingly, this made me smile.

Well, only because it gave me satisfaction to know that I was actually fulfilling my duty as her protector.

* * * * *

"Well, that new information is not new at all. We already knew Henri Astoria was last seen in Italy. What we don't know is whether he was there for a mission or because he was actually part of the Italian mafia family."

And if it was the latter, it would be quite complicated to investigate without drawing suspicion from the Don.

"I believe you're more invested in knowing if Henri betrayed or served your side of the Italian family," Andreas pointed out.

I'm not gonna lie, but he was right.

The ties between most Italian mafias and our family run deep--all because of my grandmother, the Don's wife, who was part of the powerful Florentine nobility. It would be crucial for us to proceed with caution, especially considering the possibility that Lia's father betrayed our own.