5 - Birds and Mornings

In fairytales and stories, the main character wakes up in a new, wonderful place to the sound of birds singing, with sunlight streaming through their window.

Me?

Well, I sort of got the bird part.

"What the f-" I start, sitting straight up as a small bird crashes into my wall. It flies around a little bit more, obviously terrified, slamming into walls and doors.

I'd woken up a few seconds before sitting up, to the sounds of crashes and bangs, but had just assumed it was a cleaner or something. Not a crazed bird. Throwing of my blankets and jumping to my feet, I attempt to work out a plan to get the bird out of my room.

Last night I'd left my window open - fresh and air and all that. Well that was certainly the last time I'd do it. I hadn't even been here for twenty-four hours and I'd already had two pieces of wildlife in my room.

The bird, which I think is grey in colour, but I can't really see it properly due to the speed it's flapping around at, lets out a shriek as it hits one of my cup boards. Outside, it's only barely light, so I can't really go find someone to help. I can't open the door to the corridor and get it out there either, because then the poor thing will just be even more stuck.

The only way to get it out is the window. It's not a large window, so I wonder how the bird even got in in the first place.

I inch closer to where it's currently scratching the roof in the corner, hoping to herd it to the window like a dog or something, but it flaps out and hits another wall before I'm even close.

Once, at primary school, a pigeon had gotten into our classroom. The teacher and all us students had been terrified, and the bird obviously was too, since it literally died of fright - which I definitely wasn't going to let happen here because, A) I didn't want to have to explain to anyone why there was a dead bird in my room, B) I wanted the bird to be alright because I liked birds, and C) I really didn't want to have to clean up a dead bird.

I watch it flap for a few moments, before it settles on the small table for a minute. Creeping closer, I reach out my hands, ready to grab the bird so I can throw it out the window. At the last second though, the bird screeches and jumps it to the air, and I'm left with grey feathers literally the table and my hands, and the bird is even more terrified.

It's way too early for this.

I groan, and the bird continues to crash into my walls.

Who knows how long later, the bird is half bare, as its feathers litter my room, belongings and even myself.

A dead bird would probably be easier to clean up.

"Last try," I tell the bird, which is really getting on my nerves as it sits on top of my cupboard, yellow eyes darting around my room to fast for me to follow, "and if that fails, I'm going to call, a, I don't know, pest catcher."

The bird - who I've named Larry - doesn't seem to take notice of me. Its eyes are slightly glazed over; probably not unlike me when I see a spider.

This time, I'm prepared. I've decided to throw a blanket over Larry, and then use that to throw him out the window. Hopefully I won't suffocate him.

I take quick but silent steps closer to the cupboard, making sure to avoid standing on any feathers. The blanket is strung between my hands, ready to throw as soon as I'm close enough.

It starts to ruffle its wings, like it's about to take off and smash into more walls, so I leap from where I am, letting out a high pitched shriek as I bring the blanket down before crashing onto the ground. Somehow I mange to avoid landing on top of the bird, and I can feel a quick heartbeat under the blanket, so I know Larry's still fine.

"Oh my god." I groan. "Never again."

"Klara?" A voice asks from outside my door. "Are you okay? Do you need rescuing from another spider?"

Oh god. Josh. Please don't come in, please don't come in.

"Josh just open the damn door, she's obviously not okay, she screamed." And with that, my door (why didn't I lock it?) swings open to reveal Paige, and oh god, Josh, who are standing in the hallway.

Looking at me lying on the ground in an awkward position with a bird in a blanket in my hands, and feathers littering my floor.

"Hi?" I manage.

They both stare, and I flip to my feet, and walk to the window, unwrapping Larry, before flinging him out the window. Oh god, I want to fly off with him, or maybe just throw myself out the window and plummet to the ground.

No, that's what Kalani would want to do, the voice in my head tells me. Not what Klara would want.

So I put down the blanket and wipe my hands on my pyjama pants which, oh my god, have pink hearts and rabbits on them. I turn back to Paige and Josh, and muster what I hope is a cheeky-looking smile. "Is it breakfast time yet?"

~~~~

eek this is so bad
Kalani/Klara isn't as sassy as usual
I'll update soon though