chapter 1 • day 1

She's standing there next to the bride, right across from me at the other end of the room.

She kneels down and helps her sister-in-law arrange the pleats on her saree. This causes her own saree to create a puddle of golden fabric around her. Right then, a little girl comes running up behind her and covers her eyes. And Fay, ignoring the fact that the girl had ruined her hair, picks her up and kisses both her cheeks. I recognize the little girl, it's Isra. She's Sahir and Fay's 5-year-old niece. I see Isra talking enthusiastically in Fay's arms, while she nods and smiles lovingly at the child.

Seeing her with Isra in her arms, I can't help but imagine what it'd be like if that were our child. I know right then, that this was a little more than a crush.

"Duuude, I'm getting married," Sahir moans, looking down at his sherwani.

"Technically, you're already married," I point out, referring to the Nikkah that took place earlier today, then continue, "but listen, you love Aasia. You told me you want her to be the mother of your children, which is serious shit. You want to be with her, and she wants to be with you. Everything will work out, just don't have a heart attack."

Sahir takes a deep breath, and I know he's heard me loud and clear. He looks at his wife from across the room. Aasia smiles reassuringly at Sahir, sensing her husband's anxiousness, and Sahir smiles back lovingly. I look to where Fay is standing, next to Aasia, and meet her eye. She sends a small smile my way, and I can't help but smile back.

"Just because I'm a nervous mess doesn't mean I haven't seen you eyeing up my sister all day," Sahir says, still smiling at his wife.

Not bothering to deny my growing infatuation with Fay, I shrug and say, "She's pretty."

Sahir looks away from Aasia and asks, "Just pretty?"

"I don't think you're interested in listening to my detailed rant about how attractive I find your sister, in terms of looks and otherwise," I answer honestly, my eyes roaming to the entrance of the community center rented out for the wedding. The guests were arriving; time to get the bride and groom onto the stage.

Sahir, with his nose scrunched up, says, his voice no longer nervous, "Yeah, I don't. You're my best friend, I trust you. But hurt Fay, and you're a dead man."

I nod, and Sahir looks satisfied. I bet, in his head, he's patting his own shoulder, priding himself in having done his part as the protective older brother. We hear commotion and look up to see that Fay is helping Aasia settle onto the sofa on the stage. I lead Sahir to the stage and leave him to sit on the sofa as I go and check on the photographers and DJ. Next, I welcome the few guests I recognize and then make my way to the kitchen. There, I check on the food and make sure everything will be ready on time.

* *
After the couple was photographed only over a hundred times, I posed with them along with Fay. Then, Sahir and I got a picture taken of just us, on his cousin, Maria's, insistence, so we could 'add pictures to the memoir of our bromance,' as she'd said.

Maria is a wonderful person- one that didn't deserve the curse that is her husband. I'd come by a handful of assholes, but her husband was, by far, one of the worst. With two kids and a full-time job, it often seemed like her husband simply existed to leech off of her hard work.

Sadly, thus is the purpose of certain people's existence.

Another two hours of happiness and festivities passed by before it was time for the newlyweds to go home. Everyone gathered outside to convey their final congratulations.

And as per tradition, the bride's father has Sahir promise to keep Aasia feeling safe, happy, and loved, followed by a threat if Sahir is to do anything but just that.