Mating

It took awhile to notice that we were missing someone. I guess I was so wrapped up in relief that Derek was getting better, that it wasn't until the next day that I realized this crucial detail.
......

I blinked my eyes open and looked up to be met by a pair of blue-green orbs.

"Good morning," I smiled. Derek smiled back, looking at me with so much love that I could've exploded.

"Morning," he replied, huskily. To think, we had almost lost this. I had almost lost this.

"Hey, Avery?" He caught my attention, fidgeting nervously.

"Yeah?"

"What do you think about us mating?"

My heart stopped. Is he serious? I've thought a lot about us mating, I just didn't think he was ready.

I mean, he has a whole pack to watch over, and having a mate is a huge responsibility! Not only that, but after we mate, I'll have huge mood swings, I'll go into heat, we'll have a mate bond, and he can tone into all of my emotions.

Plus, mating is marking and..... Having sex. I blushed at the thought of going all the way with Derek.

He's the only guy is ever want to do that with, and considering I almost lost him yesterday, I think I'd regret it my whole life if I didn't mate with this man.

"I've.... sort of been waiting until you were ready," I said, timidly answering his question.

He just gaped at me.

"What do you mean, you were waiting on me? I was waiting on you!"

I stared at him, I'm pretty sure my mouth fell open.

"Huh?" I croaked.

He laughed, a relieved, amused sound. He grabbed my face.

"Avery, you adorable, silly girl," he cooed, then plopped a kiss on my lips.

At first, the kiss was innocent, but not long after, it became deeper. I was tugging at his shirt, clutching onto him tightly.

He threw off his shirt, chucking it into a corner. I pushed him backwards, and climbed on top of him. He clutched my waist, his lips never leaving mine.

Geez, it's getting hot. I broke free, gasping for breath. He just started to trail kisses down my neck. When he got about an inch away from the crook of my neck, I shuddered.

Oh my gosh, that feels good. He smirked against my skin.

"Found it," he said triumphantly.

Then, he sunk his canines in, and I was swarmed with pleasure.
.........

I woke up lazily, and opened my eyes to see my mate. He was asleep. I smiled to myself, thinking that I tired him out. I felt different, a little sore, but mostly content.

My wolf purred deep inside me. As I stretched and attempted to get out of bed, a muscular arm wrapped itself around me and stopped my escape.

"Where do you think you're going?" He grumbled, tired.

I giggled.

"Go back to sleep," he groaned.

"I don't think so, Fito. It's late in the afternoon and we have things to do,"

He complained, but soon followed me out of bed. We came downstairs, only to have Derek kiss me on the cheek and run off to his office.

I sighed, but didn't have much time alone before JJ came storming in. She took one look at me and smiled deviously.

"Look who was mated?" She said, teasingly.

I winced.

"Geez, JJ, how'd you know?"

She gaped.

"I was talking about me!"

"Oh."

"You guys mated?! That's awesome! Look like you and I were thinking the same thing," she snickered.

I just stared at her, shocked.

"We're mated," I said, surprised.

"We're mated," JJ repeated.

"We're mated!" I screamed.

We both started squeezing and running around with excitement.

"I can't believe it!" I laughed, then collapsed on the couch.

"You know what would suck though?" JJ asked.

"What?"

"One of us getting knocked up."

I chuckled drily.

"Yeah, that would suck," I agreed.

"I mean, maybe in a few years. When all this rogue BS calms down. But now? No way," she claimed, shuddering in disgust.

"I definitely want to wait awhile," I said.

Just then, Derek comes in.

"We have a problem."

"What? What is it?" I ask fearfully.

"The rogues.... they took someone."

I gulped, blood draining from my face.

"Who?" I croaked.

He sighed.

"Just... promise me you won't get too upset?" He begged.

"Derek, just tell me who it is," I snapped.

His eyes turned cold, and he took a step away from me.

"Brandon. They took Brandon."

My heart broke a little. Brandon? No. No way. Not Brandon. He's... he's one of my best friends. I took a step away from both JJ and Derek.

No. They couldn't have. Brandon was my first real friend that I made since I came to Oregon. I turned around and ran.

I heard them call out to me, but it was like back ground noise. You know, like when you're on the phone with your friend and you can hear someone else talking in the background?

Their voice quiet and faint? It was like that. And the person in the background on the phone doesn't matter, so I ignored them.

I shifted and ran into the woods, I could hear Derek coming after me. But this time, I won't let him catch me. I took off, faster than ever before.

Until even I couldn't find me. It's like my grief swallowed me up. I knew that Brandon probably wasn't dead, at least I hoped he wasn't,

I think the part that really killed me inside is that I didn't notice he was gone in the first place.